CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Moiraine Damodred Leather Bolero

Avant Garbe: This all started with Hazariel posting a video on Youtube of her leather Moiraine bolero. While I pretty much ignored her construction process, she did offer something invaluable – a free pattern! That gave me a base to alter and start fitting. I started with paper to get the general gist of what what happening, and to my shock it was already pretty close (and I have extremely narrow shoulders, so I’m still baffled as to how close this was).

1 comment:

Julia Adilman said...

After having just completed my plushie for my costume mini, this was an exciting article to read. I can kind of relate to the costume making process of having to follow directions from online and using their pattern. It is interesting to see the techniques I have learned relate to clothing. However, this article seems to get a bit more advanced than what I can currently manage to understand or complete. Hopefully I can get to this point someday. I’m not exactly sure what a bolero means in the context of this article, and I can’t fully understand all of the details the other is discussing with the different versions of the bolero. It seems like the author put a lot of work and detail into adding the patterns onto the letter. It looks like it would have taken a lot of time and precision to get to where she was able to get the leather to be. The end product really does look stunning. I love the color of the blue she used and I wonder what kind of dye she used to achieve that color. After having dyed the strings for my line and form project, I have a new kind of appreciation for dying.