CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 31, 2023

LEMPICKA Will Open On Broadway Spring 2024

www.broadwayworld.com: As BroadwayWorld first reported last month, Lempicka, the sweeping new musical portrait celebrating the gripping true story of renowned artist Tamara de Lempicka, will open on Broadway this spring at the Longacre Theatre (220 W 48th St). Eden Espinosa, who originated the titular role in critically acclaimed performances at Williamstown Theatre Festival and La Jolla Playhouse, will star in the production. Performances begin on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 ahead of an official opening night on Sunday, April 14, 2024. Tickets are now on sale at telecharge.com.

2 comments:

Ana Schroeder said...

I am so so excited for this musical. Just reading this one article has me hooked, and I am going to look for more clips later tonight. I think this musical could be very successful on Broadway. It has the glamour and glitz that Broadway loves, which brings in many people to see the show, thus making ticket sales very successful. However, this story doesn’t focus on white heterosexual normativity that traditionally successful historical Broadway pieces tend to. I am excited to see a story that, based on the video clips, seems to focus on a queer inter-racial couple, specifically a sapphic relationship. In the few Broadway shows that do focus on the queer community, they all tend to showcase gay male relationships, so to see that kind of sapphic representation told in a story that isn’t just about being queer is so nice to see. I have very high hopes for this show in terms of creating a successful show that still showcases themes that have previously not been showcased.

Delaney Price said...

I’m so excited for a new original musical to be coming to broadway. Since COVID we’ve seen so many musical movie adaptations and revivals take center stage on Broadway. While I recognize that these productions are needed for the commercial viability of Broadway, new musicals still must exist for the furtherment of theatre arts as a whole. As a Polish queer female artist, I’ve always really enjoyed Lempicka’s work. While I am not a painter by any means, the simple, yet striking, of Lempicka is one I take a lot of inspiration from. As stated in the BroadwayWorld article, “Lempicka boldly explores the contradictions of a world in crisis, a woman ahead of her era, and an artist whose time has finally come.” This idea of being an artist living in contradiction is so fascinating to me and I hope the production is really able to find the dramaturgy to show this correctly. I can’t wait to read more about Lempicka and hopefully see it!