CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter Doc About Paralyzed Stunt Performer

variety.com: Daniel Radcliffe has boarded the upcoming HBO original documentary “David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived” as an executive producer, in addition to being prominently featured in the film as an interview subject. The movie, set to debut in November, chronicles the life of Radcliffe’s “Harry Potter” stunt double, who worked closely alongside Radcliffe from “Sorcerer’s Stone” all the way to “Deathly Hallows Part 1” when he was tragically paralyzed during a set accident. Holmes broke his neck performing a stunt and was paralyzed from the chest down.

1 comment:

Ana Schroeder said...

I remember watching a bonus feature on my old Harry Potter DVD that briefly mentioned and showed David Holmes in his paralyzed state. As an elementary or middle schooler, I didn’t quite comprehend the magnitude of this situation. I just remember having an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Seeing the headline for this article I was reminded of the accident. I cannot say the uneasy feeling in my stomach has lessened at all. I cannot imagine the guilt I would feel being on that set or being Daniel Radcliffe, knowing that the only reason it wasn’t me is that it was deemed “too unsafe.” Stunt work intrigues me as I do tend to like risky situations and could consider myself an adrenaline junkie, but this article reminded me that things can really go wrong. I can't fathom being this young man whose whole livelihood revolved around physical expression, being a gymnast and a stunt double for 10 years on one project, then having it gone in a matter of an instant. I am very glad his story is getting told and that he is getting the recognition he deserves.