CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 22, 2024

Olivier Award-nominated ‘Patriots’ sets Broadway transfer; Will Keen and Michael Stuhlbarg to star

www.broadwaynews.com: A timely new play is heading to Broadway. “Patriots,” Peter Morgan’s drama about the long aftermath of the Soviet Union’s fall, will arrive at the Barrymore Theatre in spring of 2024. Sonia Friedman will produce and Rupert Goold will helm the production, an Olivier Award-nominated transfer from London’s Noël Coward Theatre, which followed a debut with the Almeida Theatre, where Goold is the artistic director.

1 comment:

Delaney Price said...

After reading this article, I hope to see a production of Patriots or at least read the script for it. Historical dramas are one of my favorite genres of theatres with similar favorite productions of mine being Here There are Blueberries and Cambodian Rock Band. I am quite curious about how this piece is going to be received, especially with the way Russia censorships media in response to their government. I doubt that Patriots will be too affected by the Russian government since it had a successful run in London, however, there is a risk in this form of drama. I am also quite curious about how living political figures are going to be portrayed - especially someone so unique as Putin, for lack of a better word. The only other time I have seen living individuals portrayed in theatre was in Dear England on the West End. I enjoyed this production, however I didn’t know any of the living people being portrayed very well. Patriots is exciting to me; it’s new work that does not solely exist to turn a profit but contains some sort of poignant thought on the world.