CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 22, 2024

50 Years of Show Technology Evolution: Have We Reached a Maturity Point? Video

John Huntington: I have written and thought a lot about the evolution of show technology; I have several articles about this topic linked here. I was honored to be asked to do a virtual presentation on behalf of ESTA for the NAMM “Believe in Music” online event up January 21-23, 2022, and I realized today that I never posted it publicly. This is the video from that presentation.

1 comment:

Gemma said...

This was a fascinating video to watch - it really taught me a lot about the history of show technology and what the future of our industry might look like. I always really enjoy Huntington’s writing and lectures (Intro to Show Networking is a wonderful book) - and this video was no different. Hearing about how we hit this maturity point in entertainment technology in the 2010s (meaning that partially, equipment from 10 years ago is certainly not obsolete but instead being built upon) is a really interesting thesis to hold, one that after watching this video I think I agree with. Huntington’s focus on the future of show-specific technology through connectivity, integration and optimization (as well as disruptive innovation in technology) is one that I think will hold, and I’m curious to examine how our technology continues to evolve. Overall, my outlook on the current and future states of the entertainment technology industry and the products it creates has been rounded out and informed in a fundamental and important way.