CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 10, 2026

London The Hunger Games Play Will Get New Cast for 2nd Year

Playbill: May the odds be ever in the favor of the new slate of actors readying to join The Hunger Games stage play in London's West End! The world premiere stage adaptation of the first novel in Suzanne Collins' epic, dystopian book series will get a new cast for the second year of its run at the purpose-built, in-the-round Troubadour Canary Wharf Theatre.

3 comments:

Violet K said...

I had no idea that this existed, but considering that it's going onto its second year I guess this show has been pretty successful. After doing a bit of research, this show looks really cool! It seems like they have taken an almost acrobatic sort of approach to putting this on stage which I think is probably a good move as in my opinion, stage combat in shows often looks extremely awkward and a little comical, which probably would not be great for a story like the hunger games. It also looks like there are a ton of pyro effects in this show which is always fun. It creates an interesting technical challenge that they chose to set this play in the round, especially because I feel like this is not the sort of show that works super well with no set, and sets in the round have a tendency to be minimal. But, if I end up in London, this is definitely on my list of shows to watch.

Anton Popowitz said...

This show is complicated. I saw it over the summer and my parents and I agree that it is a terrible play/musical. It is a great circus show however. There are incredible displays of athleticism, the technical achievement is beyond anything I have ever seen, and the business model is interesting (building a theater which they will then, after their closing, rent out to other shows)
They are most likely changing out their cast in order to relieve the physical strain that the actors have been put under. It's also a not very prestigious show. it has not been running for that long, it's very far from the center of the West Ends district, and it has less artistic Christie then other shows. this might cause actors to want to move on to bickering better things as soon as they have the option too

Abby Weitzel said...

I’m glad that this adaptation is receiving the credit it deserves, as The Hunger Games is a wonderful story that has clearly been adapted for the stage with care, but I can’t help but feel sorry for the current cast, who will soon cease to have a job. This show will continue to gain success without the actors who worked hard to get it off the ground. Despite this, I really enjoy the scenic design and strategic use of projections in the current production. I feel that the projection of President Snow helps to establish the separation between him and the people of the lesser districts. I also enjoy that the audience is seated in an “arena” of sorts, as watching the production feels like a citizen watching the Hunger Games from outside the arena. I hope that the show continues to find success and that these current actors will move on to bigger and better projects.