CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 17, 2026

Alison Pill: Hollywood Parents Don't Let Their Kids Be Child Stars

The Ankler: “It is brutal for self-esteem. I only understood how brutal later in life.” That’s how Alison Pill describes her experience being a child star — words that echo a comment the late Hayden Panettiere made about her own time as a kid in the industry. “It’s the most brutal experience,” Panettiere, who died in August at 36, said during an interview earlier this year.

1 comment:

Violet K said...

Using AI to replace child actors is a somewhat interesting idea. I’m so completely against the idea in so many ways, but I’ve never heard that argument brought up in the debate around AI and art. I think it's a pretty well known fact that child actors are incredibly exploited in the industry, not just by executives but also often by parents who become financially dependent upon their own kids. There's a lot of things wrong in the industry but I can safely say that trying to replace all children's roles with AI animations of real people has gotta be the worst choice. Maybe just some actual legislation around the issues, not trying to fix the problem with AI. Much like how CGI is an interesting tool, but can’t be used to replace sets entirely, I really hope Hollywood doesn't start to pivot towards non real actors rather than just create a safer working environment.