CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 21, 2026

Preview: Premiere ‘Refugee Rhapsody’ Rolls In for PICT’s 30th Season

onStage Pittsburgh: What started as Pittsburgh Irish & Classic Theatre under Andrew Paul has been rocked by ousters at the top, the sudden death of Board Chair Eileen Clancy in October 2023, and the same financial woes that plague most American theater companies, large and small. Huffman, who took over as Artistic Director of what is now Pittsburgh International Classic Theatre in February 2023, has put her stamp on the company, with the emphasis on “international.”

1 comment:

Violet Hisey said...

I think that the story of Elizabeth Huffman and her founding of the Beacon Project is very interesting. I love that Huffman founded an organization that produces lesser-known classic shows, as I think it is extremely important to recognize older classics in order to understand the themes and social atmosphere in the time certain classic literature was written. I find the plot of Refugee Rhapsody super captivating as it deals with themes such as the lives of immigrants in America. I love that people in the cast also connect to schools in Pittsburgh, such as Point Park University, but also different countries such as India. In all, I think it's super interesting that Huffman has come back to her roots to produce a show that combines her love for classics in addition to discussing modern themes and issues relevant to current audiences.