CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 17, 2026

Theater in Socialist Mayor Mamdani’s New York

New York Theater: The mayor once took an improv class at Magnet Theater and assisted his filmmaker mother Mira Nair at staged readings when she was developing her movie “Monsoon Wedding” into a musical, but he is of course known far more for his socialist, pro-labor politics than his interest in theater. There are several moves he has made that merge the two. These are primarily rhetorical, but also involve mass ticket giveaways, a couple of crucial appointments, and most concretely an innovative arts-friendly budget.

5 comments:

Violet K said...

Its really hard not to like this guy. Compared to the countless articles I’ve read about Trump’s approach to the theatrical industry, Mamdani could not be more different. Hes not trying to restrain artists, or police what theatre should or should not exist. He’s not trying to slap his name on a bunch of buildings for absolutely no reason. He’s just trying to make theatre accessible, and make a city that fosters so much theatre accessible for artists. I didn't know that he had such a connection with theatre, or that his mom was a film maker. It's just nice to see a politician who is trying his darndest to put people first, rather than billionaires and companies. The connection between a higher number of plays about labor and mamdani’s policies is interesting, but I think that might just be more of a response to the general doom and gloom of jobs that seems to be ever increasing, rather than a direct response to mamdani.

Linnea Polen said...

In the current political climate in the United States, Mamdani’s actions in New York are the biggest breath of fresh air. A major political figure recognizing the importance and necessity of Broadway and the arts, especially with the current actions being taken against the Kennedy Center, is incredibly powerful. I also completely agree with the sentiment that access to Broadway shows should not be preserved for those who can afford it and tourists. Ensuring theater is woven into the fabric of the city, and not just an industry that so happens to live there will change the stories that are able to be told, and the community surrounding theater for the better. Additionally, the opportunity for students to see shows may even inspire the next great actor or song-writer. This is already beginning with, as the article mentioned, more plays reflecting the current working climate of so many living in the United States. I am excited to see what Mandani does next.

Mags Holcomb said...

This is so awesome! I’m super curious how this may change the type of shows being produced on Broadway. I feel like so many shows are commercial run of the mill, low risk money makers. I wonder if Mamdani will ever be president? It’s hard to say what impact his policies will have at this point, but his image especially with young working people seems to be getting better and better. With the lack of gov funding for the arts this puts him at a very strong position to be a spokesperson and advocate for the government supporting the arts. And even better, addressing a major issue with theater now, and especially in New York: access. He’s getting young people, students, and community members in the theaters. His messaging of putting theater unions right up there with construction workers and transportation workers as the unions in the heart of the cities. This gives a renowned purpose to theater and celebrates all of the people who make it happen.

chris said...

As a person who did not have access to musicals during high school, I personally think the idea of 2,000 free Broadway tickets for NYC high schoolers is quite tempting. Since New York's most famous part is Broadway, I hope those free tickets spark new people's interest in musicals and in the stage in general. The stage is something truly magical for me, and I wish for those high school students to also feel that magic and be captivated! Though the number of tickets is small compared to the large number of high school students, I think having the opportunity is enough for people to get a taste of theatre. I think the most important part is that people will not be scared off by how expensive tickets are, and will actually get the chance to be part of it! Also, every student who entered the lottery got a free two month TDF membership, including the ones who lost. So really, they just have to enter, and they get cheap shows out of it either way!

Felix Eisenberg said...

Mamdani's election is significant to me as it was my very first opportunity to vote in a New York City election, and I do not regret supporting him at all in this is a leading reason why. It’s so exciting to see an article connecting his election success with the city's theater world, as this kind of represents a progress in the discussion of what this win may lead to in terms of funding and support of arts and culture in the city. Mamdani is such a charming person, but I genuinely find his charm sincere rather than shallow, as others (predominantly older folk) seem to take it. Politics and theater are more interrelated than many people think due to various battles over funding of the arts and performance spaces, so it will be super interesting to know whether his administration is going to really change anything in this regard or simply be a more vocal version of the existing policies. Regardless! I am happy that my first voting experience was for him, and he continues to implement things that improve nyc.