CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 28, 2026

Federal Tax Incentive for Filming Projects Extra $125B in Production

www.indiewire.com: A new study shows that if the United States were to adopt a federal film tax incentive program, the benefits could be enormous. Production spend between 2027 and 2035 could rise an extra $125.3 billion. Nearly $250 billion in overall income for the economy could be generated. The U.S. could add an estimated 143,500 full time jobs. And America’s share of filming around the world could reach as high as 65 percent of all film and TV projects.

2 comments:

Violet Hisey said...

I think the idea of a federal tax incentive for film and TV is really interesting because it could have a major effect on where productions choose to work. The article explains that a study commissioned by the MPA estimates that a federal tax could generate an additional $125 billion in U.S. production spending and more than 143,000 jobs by 2035. I think this could be especially helpful for people working behind the scenes, such as sound designers, electricians, costume workers, and set designers, because more productions could mean more opportunities and higher. I think it is extremely important to recognize film and TV as not only a legitimate art form but also something that needs more funding, especially because the general population relies on it for entertainment every day. Overall, I think the potential economic benefits are significant, and that this tax should be tested more and considered by the government legitimately.

Abby Weitzel said...


I think that our federal government is finally doing something beneficial for the film industry by
implementing a federal tax incentive for filming, and I hope it isn’t too little, too late. When reading this article, I thought back to two of my favorite films this past year. Frankenstein, produced by Guillermo del Toro, and Spider-Man, the box office hit produced by Marvel. Both films were almost entirely filmed outside of the US, in Scotland and Toronto, and they were so successful. Just think of how much these films could have benefited US businesses. I’m sure that US filmmakers would keep things within the country if they could; it's just way too expensive to film here. I know that this law will help with expenses; I just wish that it had been implemented before hundreds of thousands of film sets were taken abroad. If more laws like this one are created to protect US artists, the arts would flourish like never before.