Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Thursday, September 24, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Once again I am surprised to learn that there is a musical version of Heated Rivalry, even if it is a comedic parody adaptation. I've written before about my fear of the modern Broadway scene being taken up by adaptations and revivals. I think it is ironic that this adaptation of a TV series, which itself was adapted from a book, has had an off-Broadway extension. It is no surprise that the production has already recouped the $500,000 spent on producing the show in just thirteen weeks.
Something that I'm not too familiar with is parodied musicals. Parody is extremely popular in the music industry, with popular comics including P.D.Q. Bach, "Weird Al" Yankovic, and The Rutles, but I'm not sure about any other full scale productions dedicated to parodying another work of art. All I can think of is StarKid Production's Harry Potter parodies. Who knows, maybe parodies will be the next big thing on Broadway.
I loved this article! I find the concept of a Heated Rivalry to be hilarious in general, but even more so because of the obvious flaunting of its spoofy-ness. However, I also think it’s really heartwarming to see it become so beloved by fans; in addition to its TV-based fanbase, however, I also think that it’s just generally a good show, as evidenced by its extreme success. I think it’s a really good sign for indie, low-budget, or off-broadway theatre that this show is doing so well, and it’s fantastic that the show is revitalizing a theatre venue that had previously been dark for over a year. I also like that the show has managed to cast relatively well-known actors as its main characters - both actors have been in other well-known shows, which is another indicator of the show’s quality. As a whole, I find the concept of Heated Rivalry; the Unauthorized Musical Parody to be hilarious, and I would love to see if it I ever end up in NYC!
Recouping Off-Broadway is quite a feat. It is quite possibly the most difficult financial mission in everyday commercial theater which makes it even harder if taking into account the economic conditions of very small theater venues with their little room for error, (especially in NYC) so after hearing that the production continues its run at the theater, I can gain understanding that not only does it have strong word-of-mouth power but also just good critical reviews. I was very skeptical of this production at its inception however I feel as though I kind of have to see it now, based on the praise it's been accumulating. The quick recoup suggests that the creators managed to create a coherent body of work that is actually combining the advantages of the cinematic and theatrical worlds. Moreover, lately, off-Broadway shows have been seen as the right place for productions with daring stories before they are granted a Broadway stage.
This was the best show I’ve seen in the past 5 years and this is why. I saw a production of the off-broadway heated rivalry parody musical at the Edinburgh fringe festival. It was one of three parodies there along with one drag parody, Puck Bunnies. I had the most fun time in a theater show. For once I wasn’t over analyzing the production or the acting. I was fully engaged in the story along with a house full of other heated rivalry fans celebrating a show we all enjoyed. And the MUSIC. Oh my god the songs were HILARIOUS. I cannot wait for the cast album to come out this month (it may already be out!!). From “Eye Fucking at the Hotel Gym” to its theme “Gay Hocky Players with Big Butts” this show is hit after hit, laugh after laugh. It’s funny, sexy, queer and wonderful. If you have the chance I highly recommend giving this show a shot.
Honestly, this news was very pleasant to hear. The truth is, recouping is much easier Off-Broadway than on Broadway where a major Broadway musical costs $20 million or more to produce and getting that money back can take years, or even never happen. Heated Rivalry took only half a million, which is already much more realistic.
However, easier by no means equals easy, and I believe that this production managed to exceed all expectations. It is produced at 174-seater theater that has been empty for over a year, and it is an unauthorized parody of gay hockey players. On paper, it looks like a small show that will close after an eight-week run. But it has earned its money back in only 13 weeks and has been extended three times until January.
This production shows me that if you have an intelligent and resourceful play with good word-of-mouth, you can find your audience. I kind of like that a show became popular due to fans' enthusiasm.
While I think it is great that we are finding ways to introduce new people to theater by creating musical remakes of shows, at some point I do think it is too much. At the Edinburgh Fringe festival this year I saw posters for at least three different versions of a “Heated Rivalry” parody. Honestly at times it just feels like producers and theater makers are getting lazy with the amount of remakes that we are getting. I know that there has been a lot of work that has been created over human history but there are always new stories to tell. I have not watched “Heated Rivalry”, but I do wonder about this parody especially since I have heard that the show itself can be a little queer fetishy at times and if people would be making a parody of the show if it was a straight couple in it.
For some reason, I am always conflicted about popular TV and Movies being adapted for the stage. On one hand, if people enjoy it, why not? But on the other hand, we should fill theatres with new works, so that more pieces have their opportunity to shine. In terms of this specific adaptation, I am intrigued by the parody aspect, as I feel that the original TV show already poked fun at traditional ideas. I guess I am interested in knowing how this production operates. The original show is so centered on the intimate moments between the two characters, and I would be interested to see how such intimacy is portrayed on stage. I’m sure that this production creates an evening full of laughs and would please the fans. I do wonder how audience members who have never seen the show would rate their experience. I am glad to see this production’s success; it proves that theatre is still going strong; we just need to put the right projects on stage.
I love it when people take shows/movies and turn them into musicals, a lot of my favorite musicals are these show/movie to musical adaptations, I think that if you have a good script and a good director then these can be really good. They’re especially good for bringing in new people to theatre if people see a name that they recognize and have a positive association with I feel like they are more likely to buy a ticket to go see said thing. Especially with heated rivalry being one of the most popular shows of its year and it still staying in the mainstream I don’t see the hype dying down too soon(especially when season 2 comes out), heated rivalry is a great show to have a play about, heated rivalry fans like really like the show so I feel like they are very likely to be interested in seeing it in a different medium
I’m definitely super impressed that this musical managed to recoup. It is so rare for theater to make it’s money back, and especially with an off-Broadway show that is a parody show, this is really impressive. It’s awesome that the creative and production teams are getting this level of success with this show. I find myself very curious about what the copyright and legal requirements are with musical parodies are. As the title of the show says, it’s an “unauthorized parody” but if the show is making money and having this level of success of off the IP of Heated Rivalry, I’m curious if the copyright holders of Heated Rivalry have legal grounds to do anything about the parody? Not that I necessarily think they should, especially because I am actually pro musical adaptions because I think they’re a great way to get people into theaters and introduce them to a new art form. While it is a shame that it’s so hard to fill seats at new musicals, I would rather seats be filled at an adaption than not be filled at all.
Post a Comment