CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 21, 2026

‘Broadway Flea Market and Grand Auction’ sets fall 2026 return

www.broadwaynews.com: Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS has announced the return of its annual “Broadway Flea Market and Grand Auction” to the Theater District. The 40th annual edition of the fundraiser will see West 44th and 45th Streets, Shubert Alley and part of Times Square transformed into an open-air market between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Sept. 27. The online silent auction is now live, with more lots to be added.

3 comments:

Lex McDonald said...

I really love seeing the social power of theatre brought to bare on issues impacting everyday Americans, that is ont to say that a play cannot be truly impactful on someone's life; however it is still a peice of art and utilizing its fame I this was I think is a phenomenal wya to both destigmatize AIDs and generate genuine philanthropy. Especially with the industry having a lot of assorted goods that aren't useful to anyone, it acts both as a good way to reduce waste and to increase the contribution of Broadway to the community. I would be very curious as to which celebrities on Broadway choose to participate in stuff like the signings and other events, and if that has any correlation to the union or other theatrical organizations, or if it's more of a charitable cause that people choose to attend, and if that has any impact on seasons and how shows function.

Prudence Dwyer said...

I LOVE Broadway Flea Market and would hope to attend one day, so I feel very fortunate that Broadway Cares is bringing it back. I'm a big believer in livestock auctions (all auctions, really, but those specifically have a certain theatrical quality. Maybe it's the voice?) being a type of theatre, and auctions are a tried and true way to fundraise. When you mix those two ideas with the fandom aspect of theatre kids, auctioning off old props, signed memorabilia, and tickets to future productions is a match made in heaven. The flea market is also a great idea to help a larger number of people make less substantial purchases. What's most important, though, is how successful it's been at raising funds for people with HIV/AIDS -- 1.2 million dollars! Broadway Flea Market and Auction are great ideas, executed well, for a good cause. Yahoo!

Violet Hisey said...

I think that the use of a Broadway auction is a great way to raise money for Broadway Cares. Most people I know enjoy live theatre–especially Broadway shows–and would spend a great deal of money to see a show. Knowing this, I’d assume that a large number of people would love to own something that has been used on a Broadway stage. I think that utilizing old pieces of Broadway shows to support those living with HIV/AIDS among other illnesses. I love that this was the cause that they chose, as a larger number of productions such as Rent and Angels in America have done a great deal in the conversation surrounding AIDS and destigmatizing the condition. Overall, I think that this Broadway auction is a great way to not only raise funding for those living with HIV/AIDS but also awareness surrounding the illness.