CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Makita 2026 Advent Calendar Is Packed With Real Tools

www.popularmechanics.com: Advent calendars are usually full of chocolate, tiny bottles of booze, or other stuff you probably don't need 24 of. Makita's 2026 advent calendar takes a different approach: It packs 24 small tools and accessories into a reusable Makita storage case, so there's at least something useful waiting behind the doors.

4 comments:

Alexander Weiss said...

This is honestly my dream advent calendar. I love tools and need to build up a better inventory than what I currently have. This is an awesome gift for DIYers and people who love to build. My only qualm with this advent calendar is that I am not very familiar with the Makita brand and do not know the quality of the tools. I would hate to spend $240 on this only for the tools to be cheap and low quality. The price of the calendar does make me suspicious because there are good, established drills that can go for the same amount of money as this entire box. It makes me question the quality of everything that I'm receiving. I would much rather spend that money on a trustworthy piece of equipment that will last me a long time. If a brand like Milwaukee were ever to make something like this, I would likely be purchasing that instead.

Luke Varner said...

Lowk this is what advent calendars need to be. I’ve seen so many advent calendars in the beauty space that have massive packaging that just gets thrown away after christmas, filled with tiny samples and almost no full products. Some days, all the person gets is a hair clip. I think advent calendars with practical packaging and actual products are the only way to make them worth the incredibly high costs. And a DIY advent calendar is such a cool idea. Obviously these aren’t the quality of tools that we would be buying in theatre, but for the average person who just needs some hand tools for projects around the house, this makes total sense, its a fun way to buy yourself a tool kit, get some pretty ok tools and have some christmas spirit about it. I think industries such as beauty need to take notes from Makita about how to do advent calendars.

Clayton Thorson said...

This was exciting to me, because most of my personal power tools are Makita, and they are generally my go-to brand. While I think I would initially be really excited about this as an advent calendar, I think I would soon realize that any tool-based advent calendar would be largely repeats of tools I already have, and unless it’s for a person who has only recently shown interest in doing more DIY projects or tools, these tools are often among the ones that tool enthusiasts would already have, potentially already multiple versions. I suppose one could argue that you can never have too many tools, I think it just makes more sense to try to take note of any particular tool that they're interested in and get that for probably the same price, if not, cheaper.

I.Brooke said...

Carhartt now makes baby clothes. Makita now makes advent calendars. Every brand is a “lifestyle brand,” or is learning to be. An advent calendar, in the broadest sense, is used to mark time leading up to Christmas. The commercialization of it began with chocolate, which even nowadays are common. I mean, I grew up getting chocolate advent calendars in early December and pillaging it weeks early because I was too impatient. It’s a marketing strategy that works really well for chocolate as it is a highly consumable product that people often want to “test” before committing to purchasing. It's why this is such a popular strategy for lifestyle brands. The makeup industry is a good example, every brand it seems has an advent calendar. They have highly consumable products being sold in small quantities that in a perfect world pose low risk and high reward to both consumer and company. Honestly, I think this is a genius marketing strategy from Makita, especially since brand loyalty is a big deal when choosing what power tool company to go with. By including both consumable products like drill bits, as well as brand conscious items like keychains or magnets, all within a reusable case; Makita does three things. First, it offers consumers the ability to test, and hopefully grow a preference for their products. Second, it reinforces their brand by including lifestyle items such as keychains which people will hopefully wear and thus identify with. Finally, it provides a long lasting product, via the case, that serves as a reminder to the consumer about their product, hopefully reinforcing brand loyalty and guiding consumers to purchase their “money-making” products.