CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 18, 2026

Fencing goes up around the main Kennedy Center building after Trump-aligned board votes to close it

PBS News: Fencing went up Wednesday around the main Kennedy Center building, a day after the Trump-aligned board voted to close most of the performing arts center for repairs. A Democratic congresswoman who is a trustee quickly sought an emergency court hearing to prevent what she called the "unlawful closing."

5 comments:

Mags Holcomb said...

This is super scary for the arts. What’s to stop Trump from demanding LORT theaters add his name to their buildings to maintain their non-profit status? I’m hopeful that congress and our legal system will pull through in defending this institution. If wrecking balls become involved (like they did in the west wing) what public/federal institution is safe? Not to mention what is happening with Trump and our National Parks. Lots of precedents are being set in these four years for good and bad. I like to hope that maybe by having all of these standard and unspoken rules broken, the next people in office will make more concrete rules and strengthen the powers of the other branches of government to prevent this unchecked power from happening again. Time will tell what will happen in the next two years, not to mention for the decades after. We can only hope the arts continue to find support outside of the government and grow stronger together.

Haley Baynard said...

This is such a sad state of events for both The Kennedy Center and for theatre representation. I know the name change has been a point of contention for a while now but to close the building seems extreme and hurtful for all those who work, perform, and view theatre there.I’ve always viewed the center as one of the representations for how theatre is going and to see it is this way is so sad. Even the photo used as the news article has the name of the centre covered which just seems to be another tactic to erase its importance. I am glad to know that protests are actively being made against this decision to “close for repairs”, though it seems there is no estimated completion date in sight. It is also highly concerning that the building will be made inaccessible by tearing down the surrounding roads as well, it is truly a shame.

Sophie Bilodeau said...

I learned in AEA class last semester that the Kennedy Center was one of the last LORT A theatres off Broadway, and the fact that it will close makes me feel defeated – especially as an aspiring AEA Stage manager (who wants a liveable wage). Ever since this situation began, I thought it was so weird that Trump would want anything to do with a performing arts center. It seems so obvious to me now, but Maria Shriver hit the nail on the head. He wants everything that’s looked on fondly to be associated with him. Probably because he SUCKS. This whole thing seems like a huge distraction, but this distraction happens to impact heavily on the industry in which I am currently working toward my second degree in. I do not understand how people cannot see how ridiculous this all is. He’s just renaming stuff. Everything. I do find it interesting that this is the one thing that he can’t seem to rename without a fight.

Emma L said...

Trump has time after time refused to recognize and follow the law even after he has been specifically told to not do things. As much as I do not want it to happen, I am sure that the plan is to tear down the building because he is once again throwing a tantrum that people are not giving him what he wants. If he does not get his name on the building then no one gets the building is most likely his logic because he is like a toddler. There should not be an “only if” to save a historic building (if it actually needs all the repairs they are saying it needs). I am not convinced that it really is in need of saving the way that this administration is saying it does. There is so much manipulation that is being done by this administration to the general public that is genuinely scary.

Sonja Meyers said...

I am genuinely bewildered by this entire situation. When I first heard about the fencing going up and public access being denied, it was really hard to believe that this is reality and what the situation has come to. The strangest part to me is that the Kennedy Center has existed through many presidencies, both under Republican and Democratic presidents, and this has never happened before. That seems like a massive red flag tornado siren alert that this is not a typical American presidency, but instead, a very terrifyingly powerful guy with an ego, who cares most about building that ego, rather than America itself. Recognition for doing good deeds doesn’t come from begging for recognition; it comes from showcasing integrity. That’s a mindset that I was taught about in elementary school, so it’s a little scary that the president doesn’t seem to have the same understanding of these concepts that eight-year-olds do. I also don’t think it is anything remarkably special for leadership to put effort into maintaining memorials. That feels like an aspect of the job that is just part of your job. It is scary to think that Trump believes that taking care of monuments for past U.S. presidents is something special he should get his name on a plaque for. Shouldn’t he believe that it is important to preserve American history and take care of things dedicated to previous presidents?