CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 17, 2026

Fifth Avenue Snowflake Lighting Returns This November

www.timeout.com/newyork: New York’s holiday lights are getting an early start this year. Weeks before the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree flips the switch, a 3,300-pound crystal snowflake will illuminate one of Manhattan’s busiest intersections—and anyone can watch it happen for free.

6 comments:

donkey kong said...

The design of a festive snowflake lighting up the skies above the streets becomes an even more meaningful idea knowing that this ceremony is hosted by St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, along with its heartwarming act of not charging those in need for medical support. I like how this simple design, straightforwardly relating to winter and Christmas, connects these heartwarming acts with the festival celebration and season. Knowing that it almost weighs as much as a small elephant, though, worries me about the thought that it might fall over one of the busiest streets in Manhattan. I also thought it was really clever for the installation to be put up so early in the season, as it helps prevent overcrowding during the holidays if it were put up later in the month. This also helps attract tourists, which is really good for nearby shopping malls.

Mags Holcomb said...

How wonderful! I was going to comment on November 18th (even before Thanksgiving!) was way too early for Christmas lights, but then again I started singing Frosty the Snowman 10 minutes ago, so who am I to talk? I thought this was going to be a bigger production, but no it is one singular small elephant-sized snowflake– pop off I guess. The ceremony itself sounds lovely. I love that two families from St.Jude’s Hospital will be involved in the opening ceremony. This takes me back to my favorite childhood Christmas tradition: The Bellevue Christmas Parade. That parade and the taste of starbucks peppermint hot chocolate immediately puts me in the holiday spirit. Seeing the Rockefeller tree and skating under it with my Dad and brother was also quite fun (and very crowded). Christmas lights in general will always be a core memory of the holidays for me. In Seattle I’d help my Dad put them up on the roof.

Emma L said...

One of my favorite things about winter and the winter holidays are the New York decorations and windows. Seeing the Fifth Avenue Snowflake is always a way of knowing that that joyous time is here. I will say, I have never really thought about how much that snowflake weighs and learning that it is 3,300 pounds is kind of crazy but also does make sense. I also did not know that the lighting of it was a whole event and that it was hosted by St. Jude Children’s hospital. I appreciate how they involve the kids in it. I looked it up and it looks like they flip a large light switch which is really quite cute. I bet doing the programming for that is fun. I really dislike large crowds but the New York holiday decoration viewings is one event that I will happily brave the crowds for.

Olivia Green said...

I love the decorations for winter and christmas. In the Philippines Christmas decorations go up in September so learning that it is considered early for the Snowflake to light up in November is somewhat funny. Additionally it is also a nice message that the snowflake is the first winter symbol shown in New York as it is not directly related to any one religion and instead allows everyone to celebrate the winter times. In a city that is as diverse as New York City I think this is an especially prominent message of inclusion in a time where being other can feel dangerous. This decoration also makes me wonder what CMU’s traditions will be for winter and how I can be a part of the festivities. I am looking forward to experiencing snow again and trying out and creating new traditions with my classmates and dormmates.

Eliza Earle said...

The amount of whimsy that fun architectural lighting brings to a community is unfounded. I wish that large lighting installations such as the snowflake were more prominent year round instead of mostly during the holidays. Logistically it makes sense that the streets are lined with lights during the winter because the sun sets earlier in the day when people are still out and about. But I believe the lights present outside during the winter provide so much life to the buildings and community that it should be a year round thing. Most buildings now are basic squares that have little to no detail but that can be rectified by a small decorative light fixture. Just by including a small artistic detail, buildings become more levied in and feel as though they have truly been touched by humans bringing the community closer together. So along with practical uses artistic lighting should be incorporated into all architectural structures bringing life and enjoyment to those around it.

Felix Eisenberg said...

The Fifth Avenue snowflakes were one of those things that I adored as a kid without really grasping reason, only that they had this grand and luminescent beauty above the streets super close to central park! I think It was only later, once I had started doing theatre that I started to think about the processes involved in putting up these types of installations, things like the design characteristics, timing, the actual labor required to do it, and so forth. Getting to see these snowflakes as I grew up was a genuine reminder that regardless if I’m changing or leaving to go places, things are still stagnant and stay the same overtime, especially tradition! I am looking forward to walking under the Fifth Avenue snowflakes again when I go back home for this winter break and continuing to have a very childlike but now more appreciative perspective on them, and the overall process.