CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Visualizing Uniformity: Common Misconceptions When Reading Heat Map Predictions

ProSoundWeb: An isobaric acoustic prediction is a critically important tool that allows a sound system designer to predict and evaluate how well a sound system covers the audience area. Designers and engineers can see a “pressure map” or “heat map” of the system coverage at a particular frequency range.

1 comment:

Octavio Sutton said...

Heat maps are something that I have had very little practice with the concept is pretty straightforward but I don’t have much knowledge of how to optimize them for your space and what information they give that will help your sound out the most. I think they would be most useful for looking at the dispersion of your audio around a space and knowing where the hot spots are that will have to be figured out or manipulated based on the projections. This article discusses how important it is that you use multiple heat maps with different frequencies to fully understand how the spectrum will react to the space you're putting it in. I think this is a very good point since there are small frequency bands that will resonate with a room differently and each one will have a different place they like the most. I would love to read more about prediction software and how technology and professional audio have developed together.