CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Hans Zimmer Reveals the Moment That Changed ‘The Lion King’ Forever

collider.com: The Lion King may be one of those iconic films that is instantly identifiable by its music and its score. The 1994 Disney classic ultimately earned Hans Zimmer his first Academy Award, but it has endured to the point that it's no longer just a movie score. It's been transplanted onto the stage, into concerts, live-action, you name it, for more than 30 years. Yet the most remarkable thing about it might be that Zimmer never even wanted to score The Lion King in the first place.

1 comment:

Griffin Chyall said...

Both the Lion King movie and musical are remarkable award winning productions, and it is no surprise that the music was composed by world renowned artists such as Elton John, Tim Rice, and Hans Zimmer. Reading about Zimmer's initial hesitancy to work on the project came to a surprise to me, but his reasoning actually opened up a larger conversation that I personally resonate with. Learning that Zimmer was initially too prideful to work on a cartoon, but eventually came to terms with the production after relating to his own father's death made me ponder the work I look for.

In the past I felt that I also was more hesitant to accept more "juvenile" work, such as working at a children's theatre or a smaller community theatre, compared to regional houses and prestigious summer festivals. However, similar to Zimmer, I can find authentic purpose and passion in a project where I initially looked down upon.