CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 24, 2026

NYC Village Halloween Parade 2026: Theme and Route

www.timeout.com/newyork: New Yorkers, start stretching. The Village Halloween Parade is returning on Saturday, October 31, and its newly announced theme gives you permission to show a little skin, bare your bones or dance like nobody’s watching. This year, it’s “Body & Soul.”

2 comments:

Griffin Chyall said...

I've heard of the famous Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and I'm super excited for what they will do for their one hundred year anniversary this November. However, I've never heard about the New York City's Village Halloween parade, despite it being around for fifty-three years. Claiming to be the world's biggest Halloween parade, I'm surprised the media isn't covering more about this event.

Having the theme be "Body and Soul" is an interesting choice, and I am curious to see if there would be any lash back to a more provocative theme. I think allowing a space for people to physically ground themselves is needed in a technology filled world, especially in the hustle and bustle of downtown Manhattan. I'm curious what the fifty plus bands, dancers, and artists will come up with on October 31st. I think having a parade on Halloween is the best activity to do when you're too old to go trick-or-treating and too young monitor your children.

Cal Murphy said...

I loved this article! I think the idea of a halloween parade is really amazing, especially one so large and city-wide. I had no idea that New York City had this tradition, but I think it’s a really amazing one - it’s a great event to bring the community together, and allows space for different cultures, traditions, and artists to come together and showcase their work to anyone and everyone, as the event is both in-person and live streamed. Additionally, I also really liked the theme; “Body and Soul” is broad enough to allow for lots of creative freedom, but also acts as a great source of inspiration for anyone looking for costume ideas - the wide range of possibilities makes it really accessible! The article also mentioned some possible ideas, including Dolly Parton or Rocky Horror Picture Show tributes, ranging from full drag to “a skeleton in platform boots”, which I’m really hoping to see!