Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Monday, September 28, 2026
What If We Valued Theatre Like We Value Parks?
AMERICAN THEATRE: Since the beginning of September, thousands of people have gathered in Prospect Park to watch a play by Molière. Some arrived as lifelong theatregoers or returning audience members. Many were simply walking through the park and spontaneously decided to stay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think this article makes a strong point about how theatre should be treated as an important part of a community rather than simply as entertainment. I especially agree with the comparison between theatre and public parks. Parks are free because it is widely recognized that everyone should have access to spaces that improve their quality of life, and I think theatre can have a similar purpose. I think that this situation in providing free or discounted theatre to many is highly comparable to the School of Drama providing free tickets to its students. I also liked the author’s argument that making theatre accessible does not mean lowering its artistic quality. I think theatre can bring people together in a way that few other activities can, especially when audiences from different backgrounds experience the same story together. Overall, the article made me think differently about theatre as a community resource, not just a performance.
Post a Comment