CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Claypaky at PLASA Show 2026: The New B-EYE Family Debuts with IP66 Rating and RGBL Engine

LightSoundJournal.com: PLASA Show 2026 is currently serving as the meeting point for the entertainment technology sector, and Claypaky is present in London with a selection of technologies developed for professional lighting. The main highlight is the new B-EYE family, making its international debut right at the London event. This new multi-lens platform updates one of Claypaky’s most recognizable concepts by intervening on its source, optics, movement, and creative possibilities.

2 comments:

Lex McDonald said...

It's really interesting to see the evolution of lighting company fixtures and almost a streamlining of their production. Several of the fixtures I've worked with from Clay Paky follow very different design principles than this one, and they are fairly different. In particular, I used Scenius Unicos to see how both Clay Paky and the rest of the industry moved fairly quickly from this model of super high-output arc lamps that consume a lot of power, some such as the Unico even requiring 208V+ Power to run these incredibly high-power fixtures. It also feels as though people are standardizing on the same few fixture roles or types to compete rather than make an incredibly unique product. For example, the B-EYEs are similar to the Chauvet R2X and the Mac Aura PXL. Expanding beyond the limitations of creating a fixture or fitting a role could create more interesting and important products for the industry.

Anton Popowitz said...

Okay I absolutely hate all B-eye fixtures. I think all B-eye fixtures sacrifice color quality and lumen output for a feature that no one really needs on a show. It looks too stupid for small-scale shows and you can't see the effect on large scale shows. While I have never worked on a show with a B-Eye fixture, I have demoed them and I just think they are too gimmicky.
Yea, I guess they are adding an RGBL engine with good color rendering in many sizes, but this doesn't matter to me because I would never spec this fixture in a show. I would rather use a purpose-built fixture: if I want an effect light, I'll get an effect light (I love some of the beamwash lights from Chauvet Pro).
I am very happy to see that clay paky is expanding its Aqua range though. in my opinion, clay paky makes some of the best weatherproof fixtures for concerts and live events.