CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 25, 2026

20 New Musicals to See Beyond Broadway This Fall

TDF: There are only three new musicals opening on Broadway this fall. Thankfully, there are more than six times (!!) as many bowing beyond Broadway! Highlights include a transfer of the London hit The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, John Legend and Lynn Nottage’s adaptation of Imitation of Life, the controversial satire Slam Frank, Todrick Hall’s ambitious MIDNIGHT and newly minted Tony winner Joshua Henry in a new two-person tuner he cowrote.

1 comment:

Lilly Resnick said...

Okay, first of all, I really want to see Slam Frank because I've seen a lot of promo for it, and our alumni are working on the show. I see that it opened a little over a week ago, and beyond that, I haven't heard anything about it, but I would love to see it. There are a lot of really good new works mentioned in this article, but I'm also super interested in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I vividly remember watching this movie when I was younger, so I would be curious to watch the movie again and see it as a staged production. The last show that really draws my attention on this list is Spandex the Musical. With a name like that, I'm very intrigued. It appears to be a comedy, which checks out. This is a show that I definitely want to keep on my radar for when I go back to the city for fall break in a few weeks.