Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Thursday, September 10, 2026
London The Hunger Games Play Will Get New Cast for 2nd Year
Playbill: May the odds be ever in the favor of the new slate of actors readying to join The Hunger Games stage play in London's West End! The world premiere stage adaptation of the first novel in Suzanne Collins' epic, dystopian book series will get a new cast for the second year of its run at the purpose-built, in-the-round Troubadour Canary Wharf Theatre.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-(c)-2025-Lions-Gate-Entertainment-Inc.-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg)
8 comments:
I had no idea that this existed, but considering that it's going onto its second year I guess this show has been pretty successful. After doing a bit of research, this show looks really cool! It seems like they have taken an almost acrobatic sort of approach to putting this on stage which I think is probably a good move as in my opinion, stage combat in shows often looks extremely awkward and a little comical, which probably would not be great for a story like the hunger games. It also looks like there are a ton of pyro effects in this show which is always fun. It creates an interesting technical challenge that they chose to set this play in the round, especially because I feel like this is not the sort of show that works super well with no set, and sets in the round have a tendency to be minimal. But, if I end up in London, this is definitely on my list of shows to watch.
This show is complicated. I saw it over the summer and my parents and I agree that it is a terrible play/musical. It is a great circus show however. There are incredible displays of athleticism, the technical achievement is beyond anything I have ever seen, and the business model is interesting (building a theater which they will then, after their closing, rent out to other shows)
They are most likely changing out their cast in order to relieve the physical strain that the actors have been put under. It's also a not very prestigious show. it has not been running for that long, it's very far from the center of the West Ends district, and it has less artistic Christie then other shows. this might cause actors to want to move on to bickering better things as soon as they have the option too
I’m glad that this adaptation is receiving the credit it deserves, as The Hunger Games is a wonderful story that has clearly been adapted for the stage with care, but I can’t help but feel sorry for the current cast, who will soon cease to have a job. This show will continue to gain success without the actors who worked hard to get it off the ground. Despite this, I really enjoy the scenic design and strategic use of projections in the current production. I feel that the projection of President Snow helps to establish the separation between him and the people of the lesser districts. I also enjoy that the audience is seated in an “arena” of sorts, as watching the production feels like a citizen watching the Hunger Games from outside the arena. I hope that the show continues to find success and that these current actors will move on to bigger and better projects.
I'm happy to read that I'm not the only person who didn't know a play adaptation of The Hunger Games existed. While it's currently in England, I feel pretty confident that the show will find it's way to Broadway in the near future, especially since it now has a new cast. Learning about The Hunger Games being a play makes me think about the current Broadway scene. I feel like Broadway is currently consumed with adaptation and missing original works. The theatre's are filled with book adaptations such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, movie adaptations such as The Lion King, Aladdin, and Back to the Future, and even TV show adaptations such as Stranger Things and Spongebob. Additionally, the rest of the shows are revivals are famous productions.
While I would totally see this play, it's sad to see a lack of creative original works. I know our community at CMU has extremely talented playwrights, and I'm super excited to see where A Million Moments on the Mackinac Bridge, written and composed by Hudson Orfe, (MT '26), goes at 54 Below.
I remember last year when this show was announced, it was receiving quite a bit of buzz along with the new book that had come out as well. While I am happy to see that this series I enjoy is getting a turn at the theater I am surprised it got extended for an additional year. If I remember correctly the show opened to mixed reviews and moved away from the original message of the novel. I also know that the original President Snow, John Malkovitch, is not going to be recast so either way a bigger name is still attached to the project.
On a separate point I think shows like the Hunger Games are a part of the larger discussion of there being more adaptations than original content in the media right now. Similar shows like Death Becomes Her, The Notebook, Schmigadoon!, and The Lost Boys are other big names in theater currently but all stem from film. While I am happy for the second year cast, I wish I could be seeming some similar buzz around newer name shows.
I think that the Hunger Games series is one of the best book series I've ever read, with the movies following after that. I'm super curious to see what the staged play is like. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this play, and I have my own curiosity as to how they would create the Hunger Games Arena on a small West End stage. Additionally, layers of complexity are added when blood is factored into the costumes and prop world of it all. All in all, I would love to see this play in London. I also love how the West End recasts their shows every year. I think it gives a lot of artists an opportunity to shine and take on cool opportunities. So as this original cast takes their final bow, I'm excited to see the new principal cast pave their own way with this complex play.
I appreciate that this show treats its performers as an actual living ensemble, and not as an artifact. I think a formal recasting following the play's first-year run shows real confidence, which is always a big risk, they are placing their faith that the script and direction is solid enough for new actors to play their roles successfully. This model is definitely healthier than relying on a star based or type cast production, where a production’s cast sells the show and it closes soon following their departure, however it seems as though this show is having an opposite effect. What interests me about this show however is the challenges it faces in portraying Katniss, since the audience’s belief in Katniss’ struggles rides so heavily on the character’s portrayal. A new actor will have to build established credit in the role without any support from the audience. If a show in London can be repeatedly recast, to me at least that speaks to its artistic value.
So I had no idea this existed even as a big hunger games fan (so excited for the new movie). It kind of reminds me of the Percy Jackson musical, which I also did not see, but there seemed to be a general consensus that perhaps the production value was high in technical elements and actor physicality but not so much the script. I would still be interested to see it. This might be a hot take, but I do think a lot of characters do not have a ton of depth (again, big Hunger Games fan), or at least can be played with a little bit, in a way that would make it easier for a new actor to fit into. And pretty basic physical requirements, essentially just presents male or female to be honest. Also there is so much talent out there, so theres that. On a personal note though I hope the original cast gets the recognition they deserve for putting such an anticipated show on its feet. I hope one day I can see a recording, it sounds very interesting.
Post a Comment