Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, August 28, 2026
Review: Pittsburgh Ballet Theater’s “Ballet Under the Stars” is the Perfect End-of-Summer Family Event
onStage Pittsburgh: Although Taylor Swift declared that August “slips away like a bottle of wine,” the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater proved that there is still much enjoyment to be had before the sun sets on another summer season. The Pittsburgh Ballet Theater principal dancers and troupe members took the stage at Hartwood Acres Sunday night for their annual end-of-summer showcase entitled Ballet Under the Stars. Folding chairs and blankets adorned the lawn as audience members of all ages gathered for this beautiful tradition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I really liked this article. I think the idea of “Ballet Under the Stars” is a fantastic concept, and I really appreciate the fact that the event was totally free to attend. In general, I think of ballet as being very high-brow, stuffy, and not very accessible - it’s beautiful, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually been to a production. PBT’s end-of-summer tradition, however, completely changes that; it’s a series of different numbers from beloved shows, with the audience on fold-out chairs and kids twirling along in the aisles. I think it’s an amazing way to get ballet to reach more people, and it helps to promote the arts to families who otherwise may not have an opportunity to see a show (i.e. those with young kids). As a whole, PBT’s “Ballet Under the Stars” is a fantastic tradition, and I hope it’s one that will continue for many years to come.
Timothée Chalamet once said “I don't want to be working in ballet, or opera, or things where it's like, 'Hey, keep this thing alive, even though like no one cares about this anymore.'," but when you see something like Ballet Under the Stars bringing world-class ballet to Pittsburgh for free and making it accessible to people of all ages, it’s hard to believe that ballet is going anywhere or that no one cares. There’s something incredibly special about reading about children spinning around on the lawn, trying to imitate the dancers, while families, longtime ballet fans, and people who may have never seen a performance before all share the same space. Events like this are a reminder that art doesn’t have to be exclusive or intimidating. It can be joyful, welcoming, and something that brings an entire community together. The Pittsburgh Ballet Theater deserves so much credit for continuing this tradition and allowing everyone to experience the beauty, discipline, and artistry of ballet. Seeing Ballet Under the Stars thrive in Pittsburgh definitely brings a smile to my face.
I think it is so important for people of all ages, but especially young children, to be exposed to the arts; which is why I think it is so important to support organizations that provide opportunities to make the arts more accessible, like The Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. Some of my fondest memories from when I was little were going to the theatre with my family to watch seasonal ballets and musicals. It was just so magical. I was very lucky that my family was able to take me to these performances, as I recognize that the arts are not inexpensive. The fact that PBT was eager to pack up a full production’s worth of set pieces, costumes, and performers to provide a single, free performance for the community proves that they are in this industry for the right reasons, at a time when us theatre-goers need it most. I find joy in knowing that dozens of children must have gone home that evening enthralled by their time on stage alongside the PBT ballerinas, and hope that they will find it in themselves to give dance a try.
A form of live entertainment where you can show up with snacks and a blanket in hand and just sit outside and enjoy the night is truly my favorite way to experience a show. I grew up watching live mostly blue grass music at our local park and the community that is built between the audience and performers is truly magical. I have continued my love of outdoor theater through seeing many Shakespeare in the park productions, some of my favorite being free shows where the occasional runner just stumbles upon a very dramatic rendition of Macbeth. This article mentioned that PBTs performance was also a free outdoor performance which opened doors for many people who could not otherwise afford to see a performance sitting in the official theater. I think it is incredibly important for performance styles such as ballet to host free and more casual performances to help break down the ideas of inaccessibility that can cause people to not see or take interest in the performing arts.
I think it’s beautiful how this event makes professional ballet performances accessible to people of all ages free of charge. I have always been amazed by ballet, but felt intimidated about attending a live performance because of how distant and unfamiliar the art form can feel to me, so I’ve rarely gone to see one in person. This event addresses that issue particularly well by giving everyone an opportunity to experience and learn more about ballet without having to make a financial commitment first. I like how this allows people, who might have shared the same feeling as me, to gain a better understanding of the art form and then decide whether they would like to become more involved in watching future performances or even become inspired to be part of one themselves. I also love how so many well-known pieces are performed continuously throughout the event, because that means the organizers were really sincere in wanting to share this art form with the world.
Post a Comment