CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Shanghai Is Betting Its Cultural Future on a Giant Unfolding Fan

Architect Magazine: When cities compete for global influence, they often build museums, concert halls, and opera houses. But increasingly, the success of those institutions depends less on what happens inside their auditoriums than on how effectively they become part of everyday urban life.

3 comments:

Mags Holcomb said...

I think a major fall in the US is a lack of public spaces. Downtown Pittsburgh Cultural District there are these beautiful fountains and benches and parks, which seemed like a wonderful place for community and yet they close and people get kicked out. After having been in Scotland and experienced their pup culture in the Edinburgh fringe, I yearn for public communal spaces. In the UK you can pull up with your friends to a club and hang out there all day ordering drinks, and food, playing games and talking for hours on end. In the US, you were constantly served and waited on until you’re pushed out the door. Sometimes I find it hard to get a conversation being asked every two seconds how the food is or if I need more water. At the Edfringe, the festival takes over city parks with food trucks, picnic tables, and festoons to become hubs for gathering and community on every corner. As I think of going to the shows in Pittsburgh, even with the cultural district, a supposed hub of arts and community, what is there to do before and after a show other than sit in the lobby 30 minutes before it starts or pay top dollar at a restaurant. This is the beauty of the Shanghai Opera House: it is designed to be a center for community, a public meeting place for people of all ages to learn, to be inspired, and to be present for one another in a space that’s built for that.

404NameNotFound said...

This opera house is absolutely phenomenal. I can't believe the blades of the fan are also stairs that people can walk on, the design is just gorgeous to look at. One of the images has a person walking on one of the blades and I wasn't expecting the roof to be that huge. If I ever go there, I'd love to walk on the roof and look out over Shanghai! Though I feel like once it opens around October this year(2026), they might change the rules on that.
And it's not just the outside. They designed it to hold all sorts of performances, plus restaurants and even a cinema. They also have three theatres seating anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000. That made me curious about our venues in Purnell, so I looked them up: Chosky 450, Rauh 140, Wells 70. Nowhere near the opera house, as expected. But imagine working in a space like that. I'd love to someday.

donkey kong said...

I’m really impressed by how this architecture embodies the cultural highlights of both traditional Chinese heritage (the exterior design embodying a fan) and the continuous preservation of Chinese opera practice. This is especially meaningful as the building becomes well known not only for its architectural design but also for the dramatic and cultural elements behind it, allowing the world of opera to be known to both a younger and more international community. I also love the multi-purpose use and open accessibility of this building, as it makes effective use of the space and allows art to become part of anyone’s everyday life. This really gives people the chance to use it as a multipurpose venue for entertainment, which is something I didn’t really get to experience back where I’m from. The available hangout venues there are mostly malls, where the same chain stores, entertainment options, and restaurants are copied and pasted across. So whenever we want to hang out, the malls become barely entertaining after a few visits. I hope there could be more indoor venues like the Giant Unfolding Fan, where we visit not only for the facilities they offer but also for their cultural significance and architectural design.