CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Disneyland's Cast Members Work Behind the Scenes to Create Magic

variety.com: In a 400,000 square-foot warehouse in Anaheim, Disney cast members create magic. It’s the facility where cast members create decor for the park — right now they are putting the finishing touches on Halloween and have already started winter holiday-scapes — fix everything from restaurant appliances to the iconic spinning teacups

3 comments:

Olivia Green said...

I've always loved the furnishings of the Disney spaces so it was incredibly inspiring and hopeful seeing the efforts the painters and fabricators go to keep the authenticity of the parks alive. Some of these processes are lost in our modern world because the art forms are not as appreciated, such as sign painting which shows how important keeping jobs like these open for preservation of aging techniques. However since this article was so positive about Disney’s contributions to art it made me wonder what the underlying issues come from running the parks. A thought I had running through my mind as I was reading this though was what is the waste management like for these furnishings after they are too far gone to be repaired anymore. There was mention of purchasing old parts for cast members but that would not be able to account for all the material used and exhausted by such large parks.

404NameNotFound said...

I found this article interesting because I once watched a video of how Disney crew set up the Christmas tree overnight, and it was truly amazing. They start right after the last visitors leave and get that enormous tree standing just in time for guests the next morning. I would love to work at Disney in the fabrication shop someday. It sounds like so much fun.
What amazes me is how every small element in the park is thought through and probably hand painted, right down to the trash cans. That adds so much to the world building. They also mentioned that AI will not be part of the process, because the whole point is to bring visitors back in time to "Marceline, Missouri, at the turn of the 20th century," and they really do their best to showcase that. You can feel it walking through the park. I just love that the storytelling comes first, not only the set.

Mags Holcomb said...

There was a wonderful ABC special that’s now on disney plus all about these season changes. It’s incredible the amount of people and infrastructure it takes to make these giant changeovers happen like magic. There was a clip of a gardener planting flowers for the new arrangements at all hours of the night. Another part showed tech teams working on water and firework shows in the early morning for days before debuting a new show. I would love to poke around in their databases where they keep track of all of these things year after year: where is it stored, what needs repaired/remade, how long is it going to take to prep everything in the warehouse before install. Where do they even find the space for all of these things?? Mind you this is JUST in California not to mention the chaos that must be Orlando. I’m both in awe and terrified on their behalf for how this all stays together so seemingly seamlessly.