Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
EDINBURGH 2026: Geoffrey Asmus Q&A
www.broadwayworld.com: My show ‘Patriautism’ is essentially a greatest hits show of my favourite political, religious and historical jokes I’ve written over the last few years. I wrote a few UK-specific jokes that I’m excited to try out as well. The show will also incorporate some crowd work and will never be the same night to night. My goal is to incorporate one new joke each show for the full run as a writing exercise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I’ve never been a huge one for comedy. I mean, I love SNL and I have a few comedians I’ll listen to on Spotify, but I’ve never been one to go to a stand-up show. This summer I got a crash course and comedy. I got dragged to no fewer than three wildly different comedy shows ranging from an Australian comedian, making jokes about American politics to a UK audience, to a heartfelt story from a nonbinary comedian that broke the rules of comedy, to a naked penguin guy talking about literature. These three shows no more than .5% of the comedy at the Edinburgh Fringe. ALOK’s show was the most impactful of the entire festival for me. I followed the traditional structure of a stand-up set to tell the love story of their boyfriend turned ex, ending in a witty revenge in their final moments. They set down the mic and walked up stage as if to exit to the cheers of the audience. But they didn’t leave the stage… they turned back around, went back to the mic and said that was how they were originally going to end the set. What followed was a meaningful commentary on how quickly we are as a society to make people two dimensional. They ended the show by talking directly to the audience, saying that they loved their and all their messiness and bad decisions and mistakes and humanity.
Post a Comment