CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 31, 2026

Majestic Rep stages the best night of our lives with 'Prom Night ’99'

Las Vegas Weekly: Teenage rom-coms of the ’90s romanticized prom to an almost religious degree. Anything could happen on this fateful night. Life-altering makeovers could turn the nerdy girl glamorous. Grads could form new alliances over a shared joint in the alley. And that school bully might finally take a beating—if we’relucky.

1 comment:

Olivia Green said...

Immersive theater is such a captivating medium as it creates such an irreproducible experience for the audience and actors. While most shows have some level of unrepeatability immersive theater pushes this. For a show to focus so closely on an event that so many of its American audience have experienced it layers what is actually occurring with the memories of all its participants. I wonder how different ages of participants would affect their connection to the play because of their personal distance from their prom. Having lived outside of the US the idea of prom holding infinite possibilities formed by years of rom coms is even more present in this portrayal of the event. To me prom represents an American life I have only seen from the outside so to experience this play would show me new perspectives that I may miss. Additionally I wonder what it would be like to be a part of the show itself and how the formation of the actor’s rehearsals and the technical preparation needed to bounce off the reactions and actions of the audience.