CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 28, 2026

Dolly Parton Turned Down Elvis. That May Have Been Her Smartest Move

www.hollywoodreporter.com: There’s a famous story in industry lore about how, back in the ‘70s, Elvis Presley’s team had come to Parton with an offer for The King to cover “I Will Always Love You.” It was a potentially life-changing offer, even for an already famous Parton, to have one of the world’s most beloved artists turn a song she’d written into a likely smash hit. But it came with strings attached: While Elvis didn’t write a word of the song, his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, demanded he get 50 percent of the publishing credit.

5 comments:

Sophie Bilodeau said...

The article mentioned that Dolly Parton was heartbroken by the decision to deny Elvis the right to cover “I Will Always Love You”. I wonder what the source of that heartbreak was. Was it from the artistic value of the song, and her story and experience being shared? The missed chance to collaborate with The King? Was it the money that the song could have made even with her getting only 50% of the publishing credit (before it was popularized by Whitney Houston)? Was it the intimidation factor that is mentioned later in the article?
I was also surprised that the article seemed to imply that this intimidation factor was an attribute of the modern music industry. I find it very hard to believe that there was no intention to intimidate a young woman who had a great song in the 70s. Like, there’s no way this is a new thing that didn’t happen back then? I mean just because it looks different now with the rise of social media, it doesn’t mean that the superficial factors unrelated to talent weren’t there. I could be wrong.

brice shearburn said...

Dolly Parton was an icon ahead of her time. She was an incredible singer and songwriter, but beyond that she was a businesswoman who set a precedent for the rights and treatment of songwriters. In Parton’s denial of Elvis covering her song, she made the statement that songwriters can and should protect the rights to their work, and when Whitney Houston later covered the song, Parton was able to retain the solo songwriting credit. Parson’s historic refusal to Elvis is still relevant today in a world where songwriters and musical artists, especially women, are often undervalued and exploited. Take Taylor Swift for example, when she was young she signed a deal giving her label the ownership of the masters of her first six albums, and those masters were later sold without her consent. Though it’s a different issue with a different resolution, the connection is clear: powerful men in the music industry trying to better themselves by using the work of women. No one person can singlehandedly protect all of the songwriters in the industry, especially as streaming and the culture of pop music has made it even harder for songwriters to make a living, but Dolly Parton’s refusal is a precedent set in stone that songwriters do have autonomy, and that they can hold out for a better deal.

Lilly Resnick said...

I had only learned a few days ago that Dolly Parton turned down Elvis Presley in this deal for their music, and reading this article reinforces that Dolly Parton was always confident in herself and others, and truly ahead of her time. She never hesitated to do what was best, but through her decisions, you can see her true emotion and kind heart coming through. It sort of just goes to show that sometimes you won't even agree with yourself on your own decision. Maybe the hardest decision is the right one. I don't know, but reading this article did make me a little sad, but it opened my eyes to the incredible woman that Dolly Parton was and will forever continue to be. Dolly Parton was a great businesswoman and definitely worked very brilliantly. I do believe that this decision helped other young artists, musicians, and people find their voice.

Abby Weitzel said...

This article only reinforces how one of a kind Dolly Parton was. To have the confidence to stick to your gut no matter what other people are telling you, while being unsure of the correct path yourself, is quite difficult to do. At the time that Dolly got that offer, I can only imagine what the people around her tried to make her believe, being a young woman in a cut-throat industry, yet she had the strength to do what she felt was right. This past week I’ve come across a solid handful of Dolly quotes; all along the lines of: be yourself, and never be ashamed of being yourself. These are not empty words- she led by example and genuinely wanted the health and happiness of others. Dolly was such a remarkable woman, and one day I hope to have a fraction of the confidence she exuded on a daily basis.

Violet Hisey said...

In the context of Dolly Parton’s death earlier this week, this article only shows how driven she was as a person. While her decision not to give Elvis Presley 50% of the publishing credits for “I Will Always Love You” was financial, it also began a new trend of what the article calls “songwriter advocacy”, in which songwriters protect their original work from others claiming it as their own. Her decision is especially important today as we see artists such as Taylor Swift fighting for the rights to their original music, not just for financial gain but also for the integrity of their work. However, the issue that mid-level artists face currently is that they aren’t financially equipped to keep their original work and often end up selling it to larger record labels. I wonder how the music industry could change in order to accommodate these artists while also supporting their careers financially.