Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Dolly Parton Musical Still Planned For Broadway 'As Was Dolly's Wish'
www.hollywoodreporter.com: The Dolly Parton musical is moving forward with previews as planned after the death of the country legend.
“As was Dolly’s wish, the Broadway production of DOLLY: A True Original Musical will begin previews Dec. 7 at the St. James Theatre in New York City,” the producers said in a statement Tuesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Losing Dolly Parton is such a devastating loss to society (obviously). She achieved so much to American life by being a music icon, actress, business woman, philanthropist, and writer. While I know about her musical 9 to 5, I never knew that she was writing another musical called DOLLY. I'm happy to hear that the production will not be postponed and will continue, despite Dolly Parton's passing.
From the article, it appears that DOLLY will be a jukebox musical. I have never been a fan of jukebox musicals but would be curious on how a story can be told through these pre-written songs. Jukebox musicals have been hugely popular since the 2000s, and even this year at CMU we are doing Jagged Little Pill. Has original composition gone out of style and adaptations taken over? That has definitely been the case in film, as found in the Disney live action remakes.
DOLLY seems to be in great hands, with the likes of Maria S. Schlatter and Bartlett Sher on the team. I'll be excited to see how the previews do. In Dolly we trust!
I have been a huge fan of Dolly Parton since I was little, and so hearing that this last project of hers will continue is actually very comforting to me. I know that many people weren’t that excited about hearing another jukebox musical coming to Broadway, but I think that this musical might be the perfect opportunity for more people to be exposed to the Broadway scene. There are thousands of mourning fans across the country that would absolutely love to see Dolly’s last work on stage. Knowing Dolly, her show will probably be full of rhinestones, fabulous costumes and every type of stereotypical Broadway glam available. She’s also proven that she knows how to adapt her music to the stage with the success of her previous show, 9 to 5: The Musical. Fans of Dolly might see this musical and want to explore more areas of the Broadway genre. This show is not only a gorgeous tribute to Dolly Parton, but in a way, Dolly is bringing all her fans together one last time, while exposing them to how magical a Broadway experience can be.
I feel like this is the first I’ve heard about the Dolly musical since it’s preview runs in Nashville. With her recent passing I think it was only a matter of time before the musical started to be talked about again. I’m honestly surprised that the musical is still going along and continuing to Broadway–if I remember correctly not many audiences liked the show when it premiered. I’m curious to see if the show even opens on its scheduled date or if it’s going to get stuck in the loop of previews and trying to tweak the show until audiences like it enough–and to see how long the show stays open for. With how quickly new Broadway shows seem to be closing I can’t help but wonder how successful this show is going to be. That also can bring up the topic of whether this show is going to be successful because it’s good or because it’s one of the last pieces of original Dolly music.
Post a Comment