CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Your Guide to Seeing a Show Downtown

Pittsburgh Magazine: The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust has a lineup of popular shows on the docket for the remainder of its 2026-2027 season. Plus, this is your last year to see Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s current iteration of “The Nutcracker,” conceived by Terrence S. Orr back in 2002; in December 2027, the dance company will debut a newly developed version of the popular Christmas show.

1 comment:

Violet Hisey said...

Pittsburgh is a city with a great regional theatre scene. The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust has made it so that more than 20 off-Broadway productions visit, which I am impressed with, as I come from a city where usually 10 or fewer tours reach. I find it interesting how quick the turnaround is for each production’s load-ins and load-outs. Most productions are large-scale musicals and occupy the Benedum Center for upwards of three weeks, with a turnaround of only a couple of days to load in the next musical. I wonder what it's like to work in a high-stakes environment such as this one. Additionally, I am interested in seeing the next iteration of “The Nutcracker” as it debuts next year, and what has been changed or updated to reflect changes in Pittsburgh theatre over the past 25 years. Overall, I am impressed with the vastness of the shows the Benedum and Byham Theaters host.