Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Wednesday, September 02, 2026
Your Guide to Seeing a Show Downtown
Pittsburgh Magazine: The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust has a lineup of popular shows on the docket for the remainder of its 2026-2027 season. Plus, this is your last year to see Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s current iteration of “The Nutcracker,” conceived by Terrence S. Orr back in 2002; in December 2027, the dance company will debut a newly developed version of the popular Christmas show.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Pittsburgh is a city with a great regional theatre scene. The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust has made it so that more than 20 off-Broadway productions visit, which I am impressed with, as I come from a city where usually 10 or fewer tours reach. I find it interesting how quick the turnaround is for each production’s load-ins and load-outs. Most productions are large-scale musicals and occupy the Benedum Center for upwards of three weeks, with a turnaround of only a couple of days to load in the next musical. I wonder what it's like to work in a high-stakes environment such as this one. Additionally, I am interested in seeing the next iteration of “The Nutcracker” as it debuts next year, and what has been changed or updated to reflect changes in Pittsburgh theatre over the past 25 years. Overall, I am impressed with the vastness of the shows the Benedum and Byham Theaters host.
I absolutely love how straightforward this article is. The show’s name, performance dates, theatre, and link to purchase tickets are all clearly laid out in chronological order of the showcase dates. The inclusion of hyperlinks is also very useful for providing additional information. This makes the opportunity to watch theatre very easily accessible and navigable for the majority of the community, regardless of their age or experience with going to see theatre. I would have loved to find an article like this back home, as it would make it much easier to track upcoming shows all at once. I was also genuinely surprised that Pittsburgh has this many Off-Broadway shows to showcase, as I’ve always perceived them as difficult and rare to access. Overall, I’m really happy that such resources and opportunities are available here downtown, and I can’t wait to watch some of the shows myself!
The article highlights the abundance of theatrical events in the Pittsburgh area, attempting to make the case to see broadway tours coming through Pittsburgh. I found this an interesting piece to read as it highlights several shows that are offered to Carnegie Mellon School of Drama students at a discounted price. Some highlights are Hadestown and The Outsiders, which I am slated to see this season. Additionally, I was surprised that the article only chose to highlight the tours and larger venues. I found it jarring that there was not much mention of regional theatres - more so given the recent development in lack of funding. It was nice to see the variety of events highlighted, though: dance, comedy, movies, etc. As a first-year student, it is nice to see the options I have to choose from in the Pittsburgh area. I find it impressive that these touring houses hold.
I worked downtown this summer and got to see a ton of shows, so this tour guide to show City makes me super excited because now I know the downtown area like the back of my hand. In this article, they bring up all the Broadway tour shows which I'm very excited to see Beetlejuice and Phantom of the Opera. I am also happy to see all of the Pittsburgh Opera and the Pittsburgh ballet theater shows here. They're actually doing my favorite show at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre this year; it's called Alice. It's based on Alice in Wonderland, and it is the most beautiful dance I've ever seen. I didn't know that Miss Saigon and Matilda were both shows that would be performed downtown this year, so that is super exciting to me. I'm also loving how they're listing where each show is, so I know which theater to go to when I want to see them.
Post a Comment