CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 08, 2026

The Show That Makes New Yorkers the Stars of Their Own City

The New York Times: Dripping water from A.C. units. Getting priced out of your neighborhood. A damn-fine bacon, egg and cheese. ICE agents. Falling in love. Grieving a sibling’s death. Being proud of your identity. Moving to the city’s beat. And, obviously, Knicks in Five.

2 comments:

brice shearburn said...

This production is so interesting! A musical like this featuring amateur performers from across the city is such an interesting concept, especially with a cast of 100 and performers aged 7 to 84. As the home of some of the most prestigious theaters in the world, New York City is impossible to untangle from the theater community, and yet there are so few shows featuring and about the diverse people that make up NYC. Aside from that, I love the outdoor performance format, which makes this production somewhat accessible, despite its limited five day run. The length of this run is also so interesting, since so many productions in New York run for weeks long runs or indefinitely. A long run for a whow like this wouldn’t be sustainable, but this short production is a nice reminder that the nature of theater is to be ever changing, ever evolving, and that none of it is permanent.

Harmony Reyes-Johnson said...

I got chills reading this article because literally everything I ever read about New York culture is so beautiful. I do not think I will ever fully understand that feeling, it seems like something that New Yorkers that are born and raised there or at least lived there for a long old time feel. Just so cool to read about a group of 100 people that all have something in common, the pride they have in their city, not state or country but city. I also really admire the mission of the show, bringing so many amateur artists out of their bubble and giving each of them a spotlight. I would love to see this show, and hear all the stories that are being shared. I hope there’re clips out there, because I can not imagine all the fantastical stories that could come from such a group of people.