CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 07, 2026

The Right Way To Install Piano Hinges Flush

www.obsessedwoodworking.com: Piano hinges, also known as continuous hinges, are one of the simplest hinge options available, yet they’re often installed incorrectly. Billy breaks down why these hinges are so useful, the common mistake many woodworkers make when installing them, and a better method that results in a flush, properly aligned door every time.

2 comments:

Violet K said...

The most shocking thing in this video is that a self centering drill bit exists. I have never heard of that before and I have always just used the trick of looking at a circle and hoping and praying I drill the hole in the right place. Beyond that, this seems like a pretty simple method to get a cleaner close on some cabinet doors. Hinges are always one of those things that I feel like should be super simple and easy, and then everything goes wrong and there are a bunch of secret steps that I forgot to do. The fact that hinges have a thickness and are not just magical hinge points that can rotate one piece of wood around another has screwed me over on multiple occasions. But until someone comes up with an ideal hinge with no friction, width, or weight, I suppose I should try and rout out some space for my piano hinges so my router bits don’t get covered in saw dust.

Gabriel Nickerson said...

While I've seen piano hinges before, I've never installed one, but I can totally see the appeal of them, particularly for larger loads where a full sized hinge would stand out too much. Making a jig is also a very interesting concept that I was aware of, but have never had reason to do. Finally, and most interestingly to me in this article, the idea that there is not just one correct tool to complete a job--just because the router rounds the corners doesn't mean it won't work, you simply need to use a chisel.