CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 03, 2026

San Francisco's The Portal Cinema Set to Open in Fall 2026

www.indiewire.com: Despite a passionate Bay Area film culture, San Francisco has been hit hard over the last 15 years by iconic arthouse and first-run movie theater closures. From the Landmark-owned Embarcadero Center complex shuttering in 2023 to AMC taking over the beloved indie Sundance Kabuki in Japantown 10 years ago, venue attrition has empowered newer but more commercial hotspots like the Mission District’s Alamo Drafthouse to thrive.

1 comment:

I.Brooke said...

There’s a big tie between live theatre and movie theatres; and it's not that Indeed keeps recommending movie theatre jobs to me. Instead it's within the act of doing, of going to a place, putting your phone down and experiencing a piece of media in communion with other people. Additionally, movie theatres took a similar hit to the stage with Covid due to the lack of ability to do in person things. It's a hit that both the stage theatre industry and movie theatre industry have been trying to reserve post Covid. I think then, it's a good sign for both industries. Additionally, the Bay Area is a diverse and artistic community, and the news that the founder is an SF native who has worked on programming for multiple well known film institutes, I hope is setting the theatre up for success. Personally, going in person to see movies is something I stopped doing in middle school, but saw a personal renaissance in my last few jobs as I made friends with people who saw going to the movies as their own sort of church. It gave me an added appreciation for going to see movies in theatres again, and I think I get more out of it as there’s no pausing or going on your phone for a screening.