Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, September 04, 2026
How to Identify AI Music
consequence.net: AI is a moving target, and the tricks that help us identify it can quickly become outdated. When Suno launched their music generating platform late in 2023, one obvious tell was what you could call the Forgetful Bassist, who seemed to never remember what had been played before, and chose a different groove every time the bass returned. Now, that tic has largely disappeared. But while the artifacts of AI have become more subtle, they aren’t too hard to find (obligatory: yet).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I liked this article a lot. It is becoming so hard to distinguish AI from real sometimes, so having people who are knowledgeable in music and can break down where AI fails to imitate is crucial to staying aware in this evolving landscape. I enjoy that the article gave examples of AI music and pointed out exactly where the tells were, so that you could go listen and find them yourself. It was interesting to learn about how sounds from guitars are so specific with when different noises hit the ear. Also, I found that the easiest way to detect AI for me personally was to listen for how the snare drum sounds. I was able to hear that the snare drum sounded, for lack of a better word, sad. It was duller than I was used to from the songs I listen to. Overall, the article was very useful and I hope that it will help me catch AI music easier moving forward.
As someone who has a background in music, this was a fun read. While Wren Graves explains that tell tale signs of music being produced by AI can be found by looking at the texture, I believe a more accurate way of deciphering AI generated music is by looking at the musicality. While I understand I may have an advantage because of my training, AI generated music still "feels" off to me.
Learning about how humans are better prone to detect high frequency instruments compared to lower frequency and vocals generated by AI made me think about other songs than the ones provided in the article. My mind kept going to the meme/anthem (depending on how you look at it) "We Are Charlie Kirk" by Spalexma. Graves advices the listener to go the drums, guitars, and vocal line with never breathes. However, "We Are Charlie Kirk" incorporates human breath and does a fairly good job synching the drums with the orchestra. Despite this, the song is clearly AI because of the comical lyrics, although I may be a bit bias.
Unfortunately, this article is very important right now. When I first heard that A.I. music had been charting up with some of the biggest artists in the world, I became worried that I had heard them and not even detected they weren’t made by humans. Music is an art, like so many others, that can not be replicated by A.I., because A.I. does not have the ability to feel and pour itself into its music. The turn more and more to A.I. music by huge platforms such as Spotify is disheartening. The platform pushes out its A.I. music to its listeners unsolicited and then is able to pay their creators less so that they make even more money. Because of this, I think is article is necessary and will most likely need to be updated in the near future as it gets increasingly harder to identify what is real and what is not.
If you had told me when I was a child that I was going to have to do research on how to tell what pieces of "Art" were made by humans and which was created by an AI system to mimic actual art, I would have thought that the modern day sounded like some sort of BS dystopia. Music is one of the oldest forms of human expression, and seeing AI attempt to replicate it is so disheartening. I am glad that there are resources like this article to help people tell the difference, but I worry for a time when its just not reasonably possible to distinguish between music made by people and music made by AI. It seems like every day there's some sort of development that makes AI worse or more dangerous for humanity, and I can't help but wonder where it will end. At what point will our lives be so integrated with AI systems that we won't blink an eye when the top song on the billboard charts didn't have a single human involved in its making?
I’ve said it before but I truly do think that ai has a negative effect on music consumers and creators. While I do think that ai is a tool at the end of the day it’s a different type of tool than what we’ve seen in the industry in the past. I do think there are tasteful ways that ai can assist musicians, I think that the majority of people that use ai in music don’t use it as an assist but more as the main creation tool. While people can do what they want I do take issue with the fact that a lot of people that make ai generated music try to pass it off as real music because they recognize that most people wouldn’t want to listen to an ai song if they know it is ai(I would say most people don’t think ai music is true music and try to avoid, people who generate know this but still want to spread their ai music so will try to hide the ai aspect of it). People needing to distinguish ai music and human made music will become more of an issue in the future, we’re already starting to see it right now
I have really noticed the rise in AI music especially in short form content platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. I think a lot of people are drawn to AI music because it takes out all of the interesting parts of popular songs and media and then dumbs it down to the very essence of what makes it popular and then just smashes that all together. This ends up resulting in a song that does not really seem to tell a story like a human made song would, but it's just made to be popular. I think AI music is also influenced a lot by “slop” music where people just create it so it is popular on short form content platforms like TikTok and Instagram. Because AI music is so easily digestible I think that's why it get used by a lot of people despite its weird sounds and nearly uncanny nature.
Post a Comment