CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 11, 2026

Can We Talk About Success? The Pregones/PRTT Story

AMERICAN THEATRE: Before founding Pregones in 1979, Rosalba Rolón considered a job in marketing for Miriam Colón at the Puerto Rican Traveling Theater (PRTT). Rolón, then in her 20s, recalled that she was nervous in Colón’s presence. She looked up to the iconic actress and director, who had paved the way for Latine theatremakers by founding PRTT in 1953 as one of the first Puerto Rican theatres in the U.S., and the only one in Manhattan’s theatre district. When Colón offered Rolón the marketing gig, Rolón accepted, but with a disclaimer.

1 comment:

mai b said...

Wow this is super cool. I love that there are tons of different theaters that cater to specific groups, so that many different types of people are able to enjoy theaterFrom their personal lived experience and or perspective. I also think it's really awesome how these theaters tend to do a lot of new works written by people in their community and performed by people also in the community. I think that makes the experience a lot more authentic, Because if I want to a show written by a Latin American person and it was about Latin American people and everyone in it wasn't Latin American then it would not be the same vibe or understanding then if it was that everyone involved understood the playwrights perspective. I think these theaters should be more widely known in the US and accessible to people so that people can understand different cultures and perspectives.