CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Andrew Scott Had to Re-Learn Shakespeare for Elsinore

www.thewrap.com: Like many of Britain’s great actors, Andrew Scott is very familiar with “Hamlet,” having played the title role dozens of times on the West End. But to take on the role of Ian Charleson in “Elsinore,” he had to toss much of how he approached the Prince of Denmark out of the window…except for the memories of how much it took its toll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cal Murphy said...

I loved this article! I really like Andrew Scott, and I’m super excited to see Elsinore. I think it’s super interesting to read about how Scott had to mentally prepare for this role; though he’s played Hamlet dozens of times, the focus on mortality and the actor’s experience of playing the character is incredibly different from the regular stage shows he’s done before. In Elsinore, Scott plays a character who’s playing a character - the movie is about Ian Charleson, an actor who took on and gave one of the best performances of Hamlet only three months before dying of AIDS. For this performance, Scott had to relearn the Shakespeare, in addition to transforming himself into the actor behind the performance. As a whole, I really enjoyed this article - both hearing about Scott’s experience making the film, and learning more about Charleson as a whole - and I can’t wait to see Elsinore when it comes out!

Cal Murphy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.