CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 08, 2026

10 Must-Visit University Art Museums in the U.S.

AFAR: If autumn has you thinking about school days but you’ve long since graduated, consider visiting a university art museum. These extensive art collections are often housed in strikingly modern buildings designed by powerhouse architects like the late Zaha Hadid. And most have free admission. In no particular order, these are 10 of our favorite university art museums for a dose of culture and a dash of campus-life nostalgia.

5 comments:

Prudence Dwyer said...

The university art museum is a critically underrated American institution, and right now, I'm a little worried for them. I'm no economist, but it feels like every month you hear of a new small or medium sized school cutting programs in the arts or humanities, often in favor of more obviously "profitable" programs in AI. These museums serve a vital purpose in their colleges and nearby communities, preserving architecture and art in a way easily accessible for young minds. I am anxious that the constant push to streamline or maximize profit in every field possible removes opportunities to expand horizons. If I hadn't lived in close proximity to several museums as a child, I'd be a worse designer with less historic and artistic literacy, and I don't think I'm especially unique in this realm. Not everything has to be optimized, you know?

Alexander Weiss said...

I really liked that this article highlighted university museums from all over the States. College art museums are such useful tools for students to engage with cultures fro mall over the world, as well as providing a fun activity for a weekend adventure. I have a special fondness for college art museums because I got to have my work exhibited at one. I had a piece of art and two installations presented at American University's Katzen Art Museum, which was an incredibly special experience. I really love that American University gives students the opportunity to have their work showcased in such a public area. One museum that I would love to visit from this list is the Weisman Museum. The architecture of the building is beautiful, and it looks absolutely massive. I would love to get lost in there and spend a day wandering around and looking at all the exhibits.

chris said...

This article is very interesting, in a way, because I had no idea that so many museums can be associated with a college. After looking into some of the museums, I really want to visit the Blanton Museum of Art for its minimalist structure and the use of colorful glass panels. The pictures show how pretty those glass panels can be under sunlight, and it would be so whimsical to see in person.
I also feel like if a school has enough money to open up a museum, it is not only a way to showcase the university's collection but also a way to give students a chance to be collected in a museum where people can visit and witness the art that the students made.
However, I do wonder how those museums stay open if they are free to enter. They are probably funded by the university's operating budget, endowments, and donors rather than by admission, which makes me wonder how much of a school's budget a museum actually takes up.

jackjanovsky said...

The article highlights the many impressive university art museums across the country. An impressive feat for these institutions is not only the art they hold but also the physical buildings - many of which are architecturally mind-blowing. In addition, most of the museums listed offer free admission, and if not, it is very affordable. Taken together, these factors make the museums an accessible resource for the campus community and for students to be exposed to a wide range of art and architecture. It is important to remember the power that art holds - especially for young people. Art can powerfully reflect the human condition, the political climate, and other relevant themes; having that outlook for students is important and necessary. Lastly, the article highlights an exhibition titled “Patty Chang: Surfacing.” This really caught my eye, as it follows their year-long residency at Stanford’s Hopkins Marine Station and highlights work that includes archaeological remains, fish specimens, and archival materials about Chinese fisher families.

Kay Asleson said...

All of the photos of these museums are striking, and it was a good reminder for me of the art and museums that are right under our noses here in Pittsburgh. It’s great to hear about how many of these museums are free to the public; having access to art like that is so important. This article was also a reminder for me of how much we as college students have access to with our IDs. I think most people forget, or don’t know in the first place, that a college ID often means free entry to most museums. I want to take advantage of things like that while I have it available to me. In my Basic Design class, we just finished a project where people reported on many of the different theatres, museums, and cultural centers in Pittsburgh, and it really inspired me to want to see all of those places.