Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Thursday, August 06, 2026
What's the ONE Exhibit Tool You Can't Work Without?
ExhibiTricks: The Museum Exhibit Design Blog: There's that old party game where somebody asks, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring only one book (or album, or snack), what would it be?" I've always thought exhibit developers deserve our own version.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We work with so many tools in theatre that it's interesting to think about which one is the most important or at least most versatile. Of course this question is easier to answer for some departments than others. I've made it through plenty of lighting work calls with nothing but my trusty adjustable crescent wrench. The only notable difference I can think of this having for lighting calls is the lack of measuring tools but it would still be manageable. I think the department that would perhaps have the most trouble with this would be carpentry. I think that if you counted a drill and many attachments as one tool it would be serviceable but only barely. While the drill could be used in all the situations it is already the tool of choice, it could also be used to cut wood to size. Though, the cutting portion would need to be done slowly by drilling successive holes in the board. If each drill bit counts separately the one tool would still need to be some form of fastening tool. You can technically design a set to use only precut lumber but any set will need at least some form of fasteners.
Post a Comment