CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 28, 2026

Seattle Opera to Host Annual Opera Center Open House This September

OperaWire: Seattle Opera and Classical KING FM will host their annual Opera Center Open House on Saturday, Sept. 26 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Opera Center. The free event invites the public behind the scenes of both organizations, with live performances, facility tours, hands-on activities, and appearances by community partners throughout the afternoon.

2 comments:

Eliza Earle said...

I find it interesting that time and time again opera is considered a dying art but they continue to persevere building a tight knit and dedicated community. I love to see events such as the Seattle operas open house that are free and available to the entire public. Allowing anyone to come and see the art that is being created when it is so widely talked about as a dying form of performance is crucial to the success of the art form. I was particularly excited to see that the Seattle open house has many different events both hands-on and educational to connect better with their community. I was intrigued to read that they were going to be hosting dancing and singing lessons so the community would have the chance to feel like they have experienced what it means to be a performer and make a personal connection to opera itself.

Violet Hisey said...

I love that this annual event is free and easily accessible to the general public. In an age in which the opera business faces severe economic stress and public demand for strong storytelling and plots that resonate with the current state of the world, it is important to reintroduce audiences to opera as a form of entertainment and storytelling. Additionally, the use of a “Season Preview Concert” helps advertise the Seattle Opera and invites audiences back to see shows over the course of their season, bringing in more revenue for the Seattle Opera. I believe that this event is extremely important to the success of opera as an art form in the modern day, as it helps reintroduce opera as an art form to audiences of all ages and brings in more revenue for those passionate about finding a sustainable path for the future of the Seattle Opera and opera as a whole.