CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 28, 2026

Paint Quality Tiers Explained: Is Premium Paint Worth It?

www.familyhandyman.com: Paint pros explain what changes between budget, mid-tier, and premium paint, plus when paying more can actually make sense for a project. Anyone who’s ever ordered from a paint counter has probably faced the same paint quality question: good, better, or best?

7 comments:

Alexander Weiss said...

As someone who paints a lot, this article looked interesting. I enjoy that it gave examples of places where certain types of paint would be better than others. However, I feel that the article left much to be desired. I would have liked learning about what makes paints premium and how some lay better than others. I am interested in the makeup of the paints that causes them to be better or worse. As a painter, that is important to me. I do understand that this article was meant for the general public and for those who just need to paint something and don't want to break the bank. In that regard, this article did what it was supposed to, and someone can leave it feeling decently informed. I do wonder how premium paints from different brands stack up against each other, and if there is one paint that stands above the rest.

Sonja Meyers said...

It is definitely interesting how much paint comes up in conversations about scenery, but how little I actually really know about paint. As with most things, when I am faced with a paint-buying decision, I typically go with the mid-range or second cheapest option, figuring that it would probably meet my needs. It is definitely crazy how expensive paint can be, and how painting a room really adds up, so I thought it was helpful to have this information about the general use cases of different paints laid out. I will say that I definitely would have appreciated more visual examples of the different tiers of paint in this article. The article mentions that more expensive paint lays “flatter” but it does not show examples of that, or really describe what “flatter” means, so it’s hard to know just based on the article what level of imperfection I would be okay with.

Violet K said...

Most of the scenic painting I have participated in has a, lets just do whatever is cheapest, mindset. Based on this article, I think that mentality may have been correct, as I think scenery probably falls under the low traffic level in the grand scheme of painted walls. Though, if there was a need for a wall to get cleaned every night, for something with a giant blood splat or something similar, it would probably be a good idea to invest in some more durable paint. This idea also applies to outdoor spaces, its probably important to make sure that paint is strong enough to withstand weather. I do appreciate that the different paint tiers actually do give you better paint though, often it seems as if there are different tiers of something that actually have no discernible difference besides price. I wonder how these different paint tiers apply to different materials, as that is probably something that paint companies don't experiment with a lot, as most people are not attempting to paint giant foam sculptures in everyday life.

JoyceILoveCats123 said...

The more I think about all the painting I’ve done, I realize I’ve never really questioned the type of paint I was getting. I would usually just choose the cheapest option to save a few dollars. However, I’ve learned that different paint qualities are better suited for different surfaces and spaces. Premium paint is generally better for surfaces that experience more wear, such as walls that are touched frequently, as well as exterior surfaces that are exposed to weather. Budget paint can be a better choice for low-traffic or low-visibility rooms, while mid-tier paint falls somewhere in between and can work well for areas such as ceilings, closets, and other low-traffic spaces.
The quality of paint doesn’t necessarily depend on the price tag. It depends on the type of paint you actually need for the specific surface and room. The most expensive paint isn’t always the best choice for you. It is also important to compare products using the “Good, Better, Best” system and talk to a representative or manager for recommendations. They may be able to help you determine which paint is best for your specific project. Paint tiers can make a difference. “Premium paints lie flatter as they dry,” says Michael Murray, founder and CEO of Textbook Painting. Lowe’s also recommends comparing factors such as sheen, durability, and how a room will be used when choosing a paint.

Lilly Resnick said...

After doing a whole summer dedicated to painting scenery for theater and television, it was easy to tell lower quality paint in comparison to the higher quality, specifically when it came to getting a clean, even coat in as few tries as possible. I have also learned that for the short time that our theatrical sets were up, sometimes the more affordable option was the best way to go. As for home painting, I would agree that the mid tier paint is perfect for doors, ceilings, closets, or walls, as I just repainted one of my walls and the mid tier paint was perfect. I definitely think that when it comes to painting indoor surfaces, the quality of the paint does not matter as much. When we were working on our film sets, we tended to use higher quality paint so that the camera could get a nice close-up shot, but I think in a large proscenium theater where the audience is 30 ft away, the middle of your paint is not the end of the world.

FallFails said...

Oftentimes when I see ‘premium’ or ‘high quality’ on the label for something while perusing the hardware store I tend to think it is just because a company is trying to get more sales. Putting a label on a product indicating a specific quality means nothing without being able to understand what category the quality is referring to or what it is being compared to. Within paint alone there are multiple different aspects that quality judgements can be based on. These labels could be referring to adhesion, how pigmented the paint is, how well it blends each stroke together into one cohesive paint coat, or any other category to do with the paint itself or how it interacts with its environment. It is always important to understand what you want to prioritize in your project, whether that is adhesion, weatherproofing, flame retardancy, pigment, or any of the other of the many qualities that vary between brands and general qualities of paints before even thinking about going into the store to purchase anything.

Abby Weitzel said...

I don’t have much experience in selecting paint (besides scenic paint- of which I only select color and finish), but as I am entering adulthood I figured this would be a good article to check out. I expected that experts would advise to never use the cheapest paint, and while it still depends on the room, I now understand that you can get away with inexpensive paint in low-traffic spaces. Meanwhile, a space often exposed to the wear, whether from humans or the elements, will require higher quality paint. You can put any brand of paint in any space, but longevity is at risk. I also appreciated the point that cost isn’t the only factor, and that just because something is more expensive, doesn’t mean it will do a better job in your situation. I found this article to be educational because it was very straightforward, I look forward to reading more like this in the future.