CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Exclusive: For Gus Birney, Doing a Play With Mom Constance…

www.broadwayworld.com: The mother-daughter duo is performing in the world-premiere production of Drew Larimore’s The Cannibals of McGower County, a Southern Gothic thriller playing at TheaterWorks Hartford through Sunday, August 30. It’s not the first time that Birney, 27, has performed alongside her mother, 68 — but this time feels different.

1 comment:

Cal Murphy said...

This is super cool! I think it’s really interesting to hear Birney and Shulman talk about how the experience of working together creatively has impacted their dynamic and relationship; it must be intriguing for Birney to see her mother behind the scenes, since Shulman took so many years off from acting to raise her kids. I would love to see or read The Cannibals of McGower County; from the article, it sounds almost post-apocalyptic, and I would be curious to see if/how such dark subject material (also due to the whole ‘cannabalism’ aspect, which I’m assuming is pretty prevalent) further affected their relationship and dynamic, either on set or off. I also really appreciated Shulman’s approach to acting, both for herself and for her kids - It really is an incredibly difficult industry, and so I was glad to see that she prioritized consistency and pride in her work, as well as the courage that it takes to get up and perform on a stage.