CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Thrills with Beethoven’s VII

onstagepittsburgh.com: Manfred Honeck, in fine spirits, conducted the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra through a program that thrilled the audience last night; one that was on a par with the organization’s usual standard of excellence, and a few steps above that. Robert Schumann’s Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Minor, WoO 23, was played for the first time in the orchestra’s long history, and as thrilling a delivery of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 as could be heard, resounded through Heinz Hall. No orchestra could top the performance of the Beethoven symphony, and the look on Maestro Honeck’s face – along with the mighty ovation – showed that he and all present knew it.

1 comment:

Reigh Wilson said...

My mom told me that she used to play classical music to me before I was born and when I was younger, but I really did not enjoy it that much. I used to be extremely bored when I would have to sit through an orchestra concert, though maybe that was because I was only exposed to not very good live middle school bands. Though, in the past few years I have really embraced classical music and beautiful orchestrations, and it has made me want to experience it in person more often. So I am excited to be around such a brilliant orchestra and be able to be exposed to older works that I may not know. I also specifically love ballet, and would love to be able to see a ballet with beautiful orchestration. I hope that I am able to attend the Pittsburgh Symphony soon, and their new show including Beethoven’s VII sounds incredible.