Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Thursday, September 03, 2026
We Call It Love: A Transracial Adoptee Celebrates Hedwig and the Angry Inch at 25
episodes.ghost.io: “We have enough identifying information of the birth parents, thus I made a request for the birth parents search to government agency and I will keep you informed of the progress.”
This is the email I received in April 2025, a few weeks before my 38th birthday. It’s from Jeongmin, a Korean social worker, telling me in broken English that the search for my birth parents has officially started.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The first time I saw “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” was this past June. The only knowledge of the story I had going into it was Neil Patrick’s iconic Tony performance of “Sugar Daddy”. I didn’t expect to be moved by the story, let alone tear up multiple times. The next day after the performance I immediately looked up a video essay on the story so I could fully comprehend the art I had just seen. All of this to say, I related to the author of the article’s ability to relate to the story and connect with it on a deep level, even in a different way than I had. I also learned about how many children Korea had sent to the U.S. and the impact it had on those children. I was also fascinated and moved by the author’s proclamation that the idea of looking for your other half in love can also relate to a child and its mother, severed from each other signified by every person's belly button.
Post a Comment