Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, September 18, 2026
Sam Pinkleton to Direct ‘Annie’ Broadway Revival for Musical’s 50th Anniversary
TicketNews: The revival will mark the musical’s first Broadway production since the 2012 revival and will arrive 50 years after “Annie” made its Broadway debut in 1977. A theater, exact performance dates, casting and ticket-sale information have not yet been announced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Annie is not a good choice for revivals in general. There are two reasons why this is the case. First, this is the third time in which Annie gets to make it to Broadway since 1977 after 1997 and 2012. The previous revival showed no sign whatsoever that theatergoers were craving yet another revival. Second, while anniversary dates are not sufficient motivation for putting on a performance, Sam Pinkleton definitely is an intriguing figure to pay attention to. Sam Pinkleton took home the Tony award for Direction for Oh, Mary! in 2025, and currently directs Rocky Horror at Studio 54. Nevertheless, there is little in common between those works and something as unquintessential as Annie. Therefore, Pinkleton will likely ruin everything if he does not take himself seriously enough. If he attempts at adding some quirkiness, however, he risks offending family audience. In September 2023, the original theater company, which performed Annie back in 1976 when it had just premiered, will present their 50th anniversary edition of the musical.
Annie is a certified classic, and after its many film and staged renditions I am not surprised to hear about another production. However, I find it very interesting that a revival of Annie is occurring on Broadway to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2027, when the original theater company is also staging its own production this fall. I am curious what about the story producers see necessary to share with audiences. Honestly, the story itself, a millionaire hosting an orphan to improve his status but then loving her so much he adopts her, does not seem like it would do well in the current political state of the U.S. That being said, with Sam Pinkleton at the lead, the production has a lot of potential to reimagine Annie in a way that reflects the current state of the country. Although I don’t find it necessary, I am excited to see what the final product will look like and will keep updated throughout the production process.
I do have to confess that I have never seen Annie in its entirety, which seems almost like a sin because the show is so much a part of the culture of musical theater. The fact that there is a 50th anniversary revival at this moment is perfect for me since it means that I cannot continue without having seen it anymore! I am super interested in the casting of the show, especially who will play Annie herself since her role is so crucial from both a cultural perspective and a vocal one. Also the fact that Sam Pinkleton is directing is another added factor of whether or not this show is really gonna be generically done before Annie? Probably not. Knowing who will lead will for sure affect the way in which the revival will be judged by the public even before the reviews are out. A director working with a show like this during the 50th anniversary has a lot on the plate for sure, but I am super excited to see what Sam does with it and more so follow the announcements of this production closely!
Post a Comment