Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Monday, September 14, 2026
Robert Juliat Modernizes The Grand Old Lady of Leven Street in Edinburgh
Lighting&Sound America Online - News: Built in 1906, the King's Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland, fondly referred to as The Grand Old Lady of Leven Street, has just emerged from a four-year heritage redevelopment with major alterations to public and technical infrastructure. Home to a wide variety of entertainment from drama to dance, musicals to family shows, live music to pantomime
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is very exciting to see old theaters renovated like this, and while it is very interesting to hear about the fancy new toys (sorry, equipment), I wish there were more photos of the actual theater renovations, because I think there is a correct way to renovate old theaters, and also incorrect ways. I think it is really important to retain the aesthetic of old theaters, and possibly even some of the function, while also adding new equipment and functionality that *doesn't* interfere or reduce the quality or aesthetic of the old theater design.
A lot like Gabriel said its super great to see the advances in theatre. I've especially worked in a lot of older educational theatres receiving upgrades, and the choices made are often reflective of how the Grand Old Lady chose these fixtures and specced their system very similarly. The importance of incandescent is still key today because that's the measuring tape every uses ot compare against. However, I feel as though the retrofits are super beneficial because the safety and maintenance ease is especially important in older theatres where fire safety also has to be considered. It's also really cool to see the progression of LED fixtures, coming from the early days of strand leko lekolites and other really loud and inefficient LED models to modern fully LED arrays, and the importance of it even in moving lights and making fixtures lighter and safer. It certainly has made my job and the company I worked for a lot of money because of how many people desire those same qualities.
Post a Comment