CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 10, 2026

PortAventura World gets ready for its most complete Halloween yet: a new passage andproposals for the whole family

Amusement Today: PortAventura World is preparing for a new Halloween season with a renewed proposal that raises the intensity of the experience and expands its entertainment offering. From September 19 to November 15, PortAventura Park will transform its areas with new elements of terror and proposals for the whole family, among which the premiere of El Carnicero de Penitence, a new passage in Far West.

2 comments:

Prudence Dwyer said...

Ah, yes, the theme park Halloween haunt! Nice to know that it's a global past time, and that everyone appreciates some slightly janky scary fun. This article is tragically short on images, but a quick Google search illuminates what the article already mostly communicated to me subconsciously -- the Halloween one celebrates at PortAventura is less so about complexity of effects or maximizing terror, and more so about the fun, just-left-of-kitschy, Halloween that I love. As much as I love America's more elaborate haunts (Universal Studios, baby), I think that just as much fun can be had when we embrace simplicity. This is a design philosophy I apply to more than just haunted houses, but I think that, in the race to embrace and incorporate as much of the latest tech we can, we can forget the basic design principles that make theatre so fun. We can advance, take larger steps (as this years advanced Halloween offerings at PortAventura show) without going all out on a new shiny toy. All in all, while I doubt I'll be able to make it this year, I salute you, PortAventura, and your spirit of classic Halloween fun. The Ferrari theme park land is still kind of weird, though. Not letting y'all off the hook for that.

Abby Weitzel said...

I was not familiar with PortAventura World until I read this article, and after looking further into this park, I think I need to visit Spain. PortAventura World has three differently themed parks, so sizable that they rival Disney and Universal Studios, but their Halloween celebration largely outdoes the others. I think the butcher shop idea is so unique, and is eerie in a different way than traditional haunted houses. It is subliminal, yet disturbing. The 5 additional horror experiences make this event accessible to all ages, and all scare-tolerances (which, as I’ve come to realize from personal experience, can be even more important than age when planning a haunted house trip), and the simplicity of their experiences are kind of refreshing. The fall decorations are gorgeous and fit very well into the existing park, and they honor multiple different cultures and their fall traditions. I hope that they find these new Halloween additions successful and hope to visit myself one day!