Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Tuesday, September 29, 2026
Pittsburgh Symphony Kicks Off its New Season with a Gala Worthy of the Name
onstagepittsburgh.com: The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, fresh from its acclaimed European tour, returned to Heinz Hall Saturday night in a stunning performance to launch its new season. The annual gala is the PSO’s major fundraising event of the year, with much of the proceeds supporting the symphony’s outreach to youth in Allegheny County. The stage was bathed in red, and many of the female musicians wore evening gowns, as did those who paid to attend the opening and closing receptions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As the semester progresses, I find myself being drawn more and more to the music-themed posts. Interestingly, my social media for-you page was flooded with advertisements for this Gala opening season. While I was interested in going, I felt I got what I needed just by reading this post. Something I was not aware of was a lot of the benefits from this performance go directly to PSO's outreach to the youth in the greater Pittsburgh region.
Being aware of a majority of the repertoire from the Gala, I was shocked that the pieces were programmed together. I imagine it was difficult to make a "theme" for the event as many of the pieces come from different styles and eras. I'm curious how long the Gala lasted and if there was an intermission, because music alone lasts a couple of hours. I also wasn't aware that the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra was in Europe over the summer, and I am glad for our talented musicians to be back home.
Post a Comment