CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 18, 2026

Layered Reality entered liquidation with £20m in debt

AV Magazine: The immersive experience company behind the Elvis Evolution and Jeff Wayne’s War of the World’s shows went into liquidation with £20m of debts, according to documents filed at Companies House last month.

3 comments:

Luke Varner said...

This liquidation is not surprising to me, nor should it be to anyone who heard anything about Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds. This company has not produced good or profitable product for a significant amount of time, if it ever did and honestly I can’t believe it held out for this long. I do think it going under is indicative of a larger financial downturn in the arts that is currently undergoing, but I don’t think this is particularly worrying. Even in good times, companies go under, it should be no surprise that in these times a company as lifeless as Layered Reality would. I will say, I still think there's room in the entertainment space for another War of the Worlds remake, maybe a theatrical one. I think the limitations of theatre could really serve the feeling of helplessness central to the narrative that the Jeff Wayne remake just failed to capture.

Prudence Dwyer said...

It's notable, to me, that the small amount of mourners for Layered Reality seem to come mostly from the tech and business spheres. Their work was not aimed at artists or patrons of the arts, but at investors. Look, I'm sure designers can use virtual reality and hologram technology to create truly immersive and wild experiences that change and challenge our audiences and expand our definition of art. I'm sure that's doing something, literally anything of note with this type of admittedly pretty nifty tech is technically possible, but I have never found an actual use of VR in theatre that's ever entranced me -- or, more importantly, enticed me to buy a ticket. While their War of the Worlds show seemed to be fairly well liked by audiences, they seemingly haven't made anything of great import in years (notably, they lack a Wikipedia page. Susan Tsu 1 - 0 Layered Reality). So, yeah. If you make bad things, sometimes people stop going. Who woulda thunk!

Jordan G said...

This article showcases the issue with following a pattern in the entertainment industry. Just because something work for one company of person that dose not guarantee that it will work again for you. This is especially true if your idea is focused around technology and things that are not common place. Immersive experiences are incredible if it is right, but if it is done wrong it can be stale and boring as well as a huge waste of money. On paper this immersive Elvis experience appears to be a good idea, and although this article does not show specifics about the event and how it went it does show that regardless of what happened it did not go well. I believe that people should view this situation with this immersive experience as a cautionary tale that even if an idea is good on paper in the end it is the execution of that idea that makes the idea play well with an audience.