CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 18, 2026

Interview: Director Tony Isbell On AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE at Playhouse on the Square

BroadwayWorld: Playhouse on the Square, in partnership with Circuit Playhouse, Inc., presents AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, Henrik Ibsen's powerful drama in a new adaptation by Amy Herzog, running September 11 through October 4, 2026 at The Circuit Playhouse in Memphis. When Dr. Thomas Stockmann discovers that his town's spa is contaminated with dangerous bacteria, he expects praise from the public.

1 comment:

Violet Hisey said...

I think that An Enemy of The People is an extremely important piece of literature and production. I had the opportunity to see this show on Broadway during its revival in 2024, and I was blown away. I wasn’t sure how I hadn’t heard of it before seeing it, as its themes of questioning conformity and truthfulness are extremely relevant to today’s society. I love that this show is making a resurgence, especially outside of New York City as I think it is really important for this show to attempt to reach a very widespread audience. I think that utilizing the Amy Herzog adaptation rather than a direct translation is super interesting as well, as director Tony Isbell talks about how Herzog’s adaptation better suits modern tastes and audiences, but I was surprised by the fact that Herzog trimmed almost 40% of the original script. I wonder how much of the original plot changed to accommodate this cut.